"Smart Motorway" Speed Cameras

I think we have all seen the overhead gantry with the variable speed limits and we know lots have speed cameras onthe back.

I was on the M62 heading west just off M1, Traffic was good and no speed limits were shown I noticed on the other carrageway a flash from a overhead speed camera, so Im guessing the car was speeding so it looks to me they are active all the time but default to 70? or maybe a higher speed?

jaylea:
I think we have all seen the overhead gantry with the variable speed limits and we know lots have speed cameras onthe back.

I was on the M62 heading west just off M1, Traffic was good and no speed limits were shown I noticed on the other carrageway a flash from a overhead speed camera, so Im guessing the car was speeding so it looks to me they are active all the time but default to 70? or maybe a higher speed?

some are some arnt . the new ones around the M4 /M5 will fire up some times when the normal speed is on

I would quite happily see them put up on the M8 in Glasgow. I never thought I would want to see them but it is a rat run with sliproads on the left and right lanes so maybe they would make things safer for those of us who stick to the speed limit

scanny77:
I would quite happily see them put up on the M8 in Glasgow. I never thought I would want to see them but it is a rat run with sliproads on the left and right lanes so maybe they would make things safer for those of us who stick to the speed limit

When the traffic moves on the the M8 :wink: :wink:

The ones on the M25 between J26-J24 will give you flash, even if the gantries/large sign at the side of the road, are blank. Don’t know what speed triggers it, it seems to only catch the real “flyers”.

The cameras on the M62 are live, and have been for sometime.
They still operate even when the matrix signs are not switched on, so anyone driving through over the limit risks getting caught. During morning rush hour it can be more like a disco than a motorway with the amount of flashing lights going off on the gantries