Smart M-Ways

bald:
If I compare smart motorways in the uk with those in Holland and/or Belgium, it is not so much the difference in number of refuges, but the number of overhead gantries that is noticable.
If in Holland, for instance the A2 north of Geleen, where they change in the morning and evening mostly to 3 lanes, you have an overhead gantry about every mile, so the possibilities to warn for a potential problem are so much greater, and thus much safer.

The gantries for smart motorways here are maximum every mile too, with many sections spaced even less than that.

The problem not being the gantries, but the lack of surveillance on SMs.
Gantries being there is useless if they aren’t turned on.

Grant Shapps on the Telebox this morning reiterated his plan for self driving vehicles.

The Transport Secretary is considering allowing drivers to take their hands off the wheel on motorways, and let the car stick to the lane and keep a distance from the car in front.

The Times reports that Grant Shapps could allow the change by the summer which it says will mean drivers could watch a film, check emails or texts while at the wheel.

However, the report adds that the government is stepping back from a plan to allow this at 70mph and signalled that it will apply in stop-start motorway traffic at speeds of up to 37mph.

It may take some pressure off Boris’s dead people mountain.

Wheel Nut:
stop-start motorway traffic at speeds of up to 37mph.

It’s a ‘motorway’ but not as we know/knew it.I’ll take the scenic NSL cross country B road and preferably unclassified road route thanks. :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
The Transport Secretary is considering allowing drivers to take their hands off the wheel on motorways, and let the car stick to the lane and keep a distance from the car in front.

The Times reports that Grant Shapps could allow the change by the summer which it says will mean drivers could watch a film, check emails or texts while at the wheel.

I think this would make a lot of car owners safer on the roads.

Wheel Nut:

So nothing will change then. OK cool. :smiley:

Why don`t they merely reduce the speed limit on these smart motorways to 40mph, that will cut down on pollution and potentially save lives across the board.

Tude:
Why don`t they merely reduce the speed limit on these smart motorways to 40mph, that will cut down on pollution and potentially save lives across the board.

Remind me why would I use a ‘motorway’ in that case.What’s in it for me.Other than slower speeds than NSL single carriageway and caught between junctions with no way off in frequent hold ups possibly for hours.