Smart border

Hi all,

First time shipping Dover-Dunkirk since Brexit. Will be using the new ‘smart border’ barcode with a couple of pallets on a van. Looking for any advice/info on the process if anybody can help.

Do I have to get this checked/scanned at one of the inland borders, or can I head straight to the port? Is is straightforward at the other side? Once I’m clear at Dunkirk can I head straight to destination (Germany), or does it need to be stamped at each border?

Apologies if this has been asked before, did a search but couldn’t see anything.
Thanks in advance all for your help.

It depends what’s contained in the load.
Let’s just say you could never just move a couple of pallet loads of cigarettes and booze or a tanker load of diesel or a transporter load of new cars from Luxembourg to UK, let alone Denmark, without a lot of customs aggro even all being EU member states.
instituteforgovernment.org.u … -eu-border

I haven’t been via Dunkirk, but:
currently no checks b4 going to Dover.
Ferry Company will check your MRN bar code. You won’t get a ticket without it being OK.

When on boat there may a screen giving your customs status: green or orange. Or there will be some system when you get off boat.
Either green, just go, or orange report to Douane. Other crossing may give you a text to say you’re clear. As I say, I can’t be more specific regards Dunkirk.

Once you get a green clearance you are OK to go all the way to destination, with no further customs work for you to do. Still no internal EU borders.

If it is a regular run then it should all happen out of your sight whilst you are on the ferry. Doesn’t mean things aren’t happening and costing money of course, just that you as the driver don’t see it.

There is no stamp or clearance number at French end, you’re simply told OK, be it screen on boat, via text, via ANPR at arrival and traffic lights, Douane control, etc.
Don’t sneak out if you’re not sure you’re clear, it is a 5 figure fine if caught.

On the Dunkirk sailing your number plate will be dispalyed on a screen on the boat about 30 minutes before docking telling you what your customs status is unless it is foodstuffs it is highly unlikely you’ll need to stop, last time I was on it out of over a 100 vehicles only two didn’t get the green light.
I would check with whoever is giving you the load that you don’t need to go to a customs clearance agent in the EU before making the delivery the clearing agent may not necessarily be in Germany depending on who the load belongs to

Thanks all for the help - really useful.

I’m taking goods out for a trade show, so it’s on the companies own vehicle. Mostly furniture but will also have a half pallet of drinks too.

brassman2903:
Thanks all for the help - really useful.

I’m taking goods out for a trade show, so it’s on the companies own vehicle. Mostly furniture but will also have a half pallet of drinks too.

Drinks? alcohol?
Either an EDA or statement that they are not for resale or something similar is probably necessary.
Well worth double checking on that.