small world

just before i left rh we got a new contract loading paper from tullis and russell in glenrothes, upd are the main haulier in there running the uk side of things. i parked up outside and went to book in at the office, just stood there having a coffee from the machine when this chap in his late fifties comes up to me and says is your name jon h? yes it is says i thinking my loads ready. did you go to school in mansfield? yes (thinking why■■?) wait there he says. who comes walking in but one of the old gang from school! bear in mind im now 35, bald as a coot, 16 stone(i used to be thin as a lat) wear glasses etc etc, and were 300+ miles from mansfield! hed heard me talking in the corridor-saw my name on the booking sheet and put two and two together. he`s been living up there with a scottish lass for 15 years. not much of a story but it just made me think what a coincidence.

The World gets smaller than that Jon.

In 98 I was involved in the Rhine Army show in Sennelager, Germany.
There were a few various teams and display company there and the guys tended to stick together, some of the guys from Ferrari were in our hotel and we often drank together and had a laugh. I was strolling through the show ground one day and came across my ex mate from the local pub in Towcester who was in the Army. … Thats not all. :exclamation:

In the summer of last year I stopped at Westborough Service Plaza on I 90 in MA and went in for a coffee, as i walked out glancing at the shelves etc I caught a glimpse of some red clothing passing by but never looked up, then I heard someone say “That Bloke looks just like Pat” I looked up to see the Ferrari guys from that show, they had three racing trailers outside hooked to red Frieghtliners with US drivers … Now THATS a small world :laughing:

lol beats my 300= miles pat. how far would yours be? 2000+?

From Germany to here :question: Around 4 or 5,000 :slight_smile:

It’s 3,500 from Boston to London.

i know they pay milage there but london boston is about 130 mablethopes further LOL

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: @ Big Ron

About 7 years ago I pulled into a truck stop near Bordeaux, (cabbage patch) for the week end, and on going to the bar a young lady came up to me and asked if I had served in the army in Belize, which I had, however I never met any English women there so went to enquire how she knew me, so she intruduced me to her brother who thought he recognised me…I was in Belize in 1979 so we hadn´t met for at least 18 years…I joined them at a table for some food and was reminiscing as you do, and there was also another English bloke sat at the table…He had never served in the Army but we included him in our conversation… On asking where he came from he told us he was from Milford in Surrey, strange I thought, I used to live there when I was a small kid, anyway to cut a long story short he was in my class at junior school, and remembered me and my sisters well, but didn´t recognise me to look at me.well it was over 25 years since we last met…

JImti: Don’t tell me you used to go to Sid’s bar on Cay Caulker in 1979■■?
I was passing through there as a backpacker, and these mad squaddies would come out from Belize City in a motorboat owned by a bloke called Chocolate. They’d swim a mile out to the reef, OVER the reef, and splash about in the surf, sharks and all. then swim back in and get completely ratted on Rum. Nutters:-) That wouldn’t be you would it?

PeteLeTroquaire:
JImti: Don’t tell me you used to go to Sid’s bar on Cay Caulker in 1979■■?
I was passing through there as a backpacker, and these mad squaddies would come out from Belize City in a motorboat owned by a bloke called Chocolate. They’d swim a mile out to the reef, OVER the reef, and splash about in the surf, sharks and all. then swim back in and get completely ratted on Rum. Nutters:-) That wouldn’t be you would it?

It could very well have been me. If you look on the 404 Troop web site you will see loads of photo’s from Caulker, some involving lashings of Rum…I knew Chocolate, but usually used a bloke called Que dice (what it says) named after his favourite saying.

Is this another example of a small world■■?