Small World

What are your favourite examples of this industry being a small world?

Mine is when I went to cover the Scania Young European Driver of the Year Final last year for T&D…Out of the finalists there, one guy had been a fitter for the ERF workshop based next door to one of my previous employers and another I’d worked with in Weymouth. Stranger still, his wife had actually delivered my daughter! :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

Just this week I went to join the queue for 43 Berth down at Tilbury only to notice a huge great gap in it. The gap was caused by a driver who’d stopped to wait for his 39 Berth booking slot and the queue had formed around him. As I lowered my window to shout “Excuse me mate…” a very familiar head popped up - another old friend from way back who I’d last seen in a car transporter at the Stockyard several years ago and who was supposed to have emigrated to Canada (He had. He came back). :stuck_out_tongue:

Even on this very site…After much umm-ing and ahh-ing and failed attempts to put his finger on it ( :open_mouth: :wink: ) it turns out that Montana Man knew me when we used to ship Poole-Cherbourg on the Coutances together and I was green as grass. :exclamation:

Anyone else’s world shrinking at the same rate mine is? And is that shrinking thing a sign that I’ve been in this game too long already? Or that the best is yet to come? :blush: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

About a month ago I did a quick trip to Paris for DHL. Now they usually use the train but because the trailer I had on was 4.3m I had to use the ferry both ways, my first time back on the old Dover/Calais crossing for a year. On the way back I get on the ferry, I was one of only about six UK registered trucks, and on arrival in the drivers restaurant I bump into a guy who used to work at Allport and who I hadn’t seen for 3 years or more. We had double manned several trips over the water in my truck in the past, including a memorable one where we left Slough at 06:00 Thursday morning did a delivery in Munich on Friday, 2 computer cabinets, and arrived back in Slough about 03:30 Saturday morning, we ran back empty as we were getting paid round trip plus extra for the express service.

Lucy:
Stranger still, his wife had actually delivered my daughter! :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

Was it on a pallet or handball?

Clamp truck. :wink:

Lucy:
Clamp truck. :wink:

Ouch!