Small Van Big Cab

Hi, was parked up on Friday and noticed this van parked near me.
Seemed an awfully big cab for a van
Oops picture has went on it’s side.

6047A397-8D33-41C6-8922-9C8E488BA54C_.jpeg

foreign plates ■■

My first driving job was tramping on a Transit pick up.
Not great conditions, but an excellent way to learn your way round the country in those days …pre sat navs.
20 year old, 6’ 1’’ sleeping across the seats, or under the sheet in summer…yeh I know who tf would do that these days :unamused: , but different times eh.

Christ I would have given my right arm for that outfit in those days. :smiley:
King of the road and all that. :laughing:

robroy:
Not great conditions, but an excellent way to learn your way round the country in those days …pre sat navs.
20 year old, 6’ 1’’ sleeping across the seats, or under the sheet in summer…yeh I know who tf would do that these days :unamused: , but different times eh.

. Me too, I kipped in my Transit pick ups quite often when doing express deliverys, Ive even done the same under a drip sheet come tent in the summer, On the back of an eight wheeler flat when there was no digs available, I dont think drivers of today would even think about it. :slight_smile: .

Lawrence Dunbar:

robroy:

. Me too, I kipped in my Transit pick ups quite often when doing express deliverys, Ive even done the same under a drip sheet come tent in the summer, On the back of an eight wheeler flat when there was no digs available, I dont think drivers of today would even think about it. :slight_smile: .

I remember being 17 yr old going off with my 21 yr old mate in a TK.
Big high load so he made a tent like structure for me with a long pole and a drip sheet one night in Poole
I remember him saying you look like an Arab Bedouin camping out. :smiley:
Not great though kipping way up high with half a dozen pints on board with the effects of it and only being only 17 not used to beer . :open_mouth: :laughing:

Looks like the driver doesnt rate it as he has booked a room in the Premier Inn :slight_smile:
The payload on that must be close to frec all

It’s right next to a McDonalds and a Subway.

Sleeper cab 5 ton van possibly?

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

See lots of them about, usually seem to be running empty on East European plates. Few seem to carry any owner’s name.

Given the vast majority are single wheel rear axle I’d guess they’re plated at 3500kg so non-tacho and thereby avoid DVSA checks. One has to wonder how they make a living; unless it’s by carrying stuff they really shouldn’t be carrying? Or even scouting for stuff that others might carry without asking permission?

Call me a suspicious old devil, but is there any connection between them being about and curtains being cut, etc?

Sidevalve:
See lots of them about, usually seem to be running empty on East European plates. Few seem to carry any owner’s name.

Given the vast majority are single wheel rear axle I’d guess they’re plated at 3500kg so non-tacho and thereby avoid DVSA checks. One has to wonder how they make a living; unless it’s by carrying stuff they really shouldn’t be carrying? Or even scouting for stuff that others might carry without asking permission?

Call me a suspicious old devil, but is there any connection between them being about and curtains being cut, etc?

To try to bring them under regulation the EU has lowered the weight for anO Licence down to 2.5T. Maybe tachos will follow?
The UK has not followed suit, after all it`s all about freedom. In this case for smaller vehicles to run rings around the law abiding bigger trucks, and so keep costs (for clients) down.

robroy:

Except for the problem of more of the load deck being behind the rear axle than ahead of it.The thing is a weight distribution liability in the real world.

5/6 tonners usually have those black plastic nut covers on wheels, where as the 3.5 ton version generally don’t. It’s most likely a 5 or 6 ton van as I said earlier.

I do wonder what kind of payload that this pickup would have It looks like a single wheel rear axle, So I dont think it would be very much, :question:

Dunky123:

I fixed that for you. :smiley:

Sidevalve:

I always thought they were working for just-in-time supply lines for car manufacturing plants.

dieseldave:

Dunky123:

Thank you ,fine sir.

Dunky123:

dieseldave:

Dunky123:

Thank you ,fine sir.

. Please may I ask how its done :question:

simcor:
5/6 tonners usually have those black plastic nut covers on wheels, where as the 3.5 ton version generally don’t. It’s most likely a 5 or 6 ton van as I said earlier.

Theres no way that could make 5-6t gross with that axle positioning and resulting axle weights.

Sidevalve:
One has to wonder how they make a living; unless it’s by carrying stuff they really shouldn’t be carrying? Or even scouting for stuff that others might carry without asking permission?

Hot shot parts deliveries to car manufacturers and the like from component manufacturers in Poland and Romania. You see loads of them when doing night trunking. Hot shot delivery work pays the most because often production lines are at or at risk of coming to a standstill costing companies thousands and sometimes tens of thousands of pounds an hour whilst they’re stood idle.

Only for the racists. These guys literally don’t stop until they drop. And given that they’ll have customs to go through what are they going to do with what they steal when they’ve no paperwork for it?

I think you’ll find it’s homegrown thieves who are more likely to be curtain fairies.

sounds daft but when we’ve needed axles urgently from italy , i’ve know us to have 3 or 4 of these turn up with something like 4 axles on each . things cost an arm and a leg to book as well.