Small Mid Lift Wheel

I have been given another truck from tomorrow, a Daf CF85.430. This truck has a small mid-lift wheel as it has just come from Germany and I am of the understanding that this means that it can run at no more than 40 tonnes. As we regularly pull at 44 tonnes the boss says that this truck is OK at 44t. Is he correct? :confused:

The easiest way to find out is to check what it says on the Ministry Plate in the cab - that should give you axle, maximum gross, and train weights. :wink:

Normally I would suggest looking at the plating certificate, but it probably doesnt have one yet.

I am sure you can run at 44t

Im sure the conversion is legal here, as I have seen quite a few.

Im not sure why you would need 6 axles on an Innenlader otherwise

As long as the truck is plated and the tax is paid for 44 tons it is legal, but check the stated axle loading for that axle you may find it is lighter than a normal size one.

They are usually put on for weight saving, we had then at Turners to save weight. Also if you need to fit a compressor for tank work it frees up a bit more space.

As the others have already said your mid-lift unit will be okay for 44t as long as the plate is in accordance. Watch the loading weight though as the CF is fitted with 17.5" wheels from the factory and the maximum axle weight is just 4,400kg, instead of the normal 7,100kg you’d get with full size wheels.

Cheers, Craig

Many thanks for your quick replies, they are very helpful. :smiley:

You see these small mid lift wheels a lot on tankers and car transporters now.
I somehow doubt they would fit them, if they weren’t legal.
DFDS at Immingham have a couple of day cabs with these fitted, and they don’t seem to have any problems.

Ah, “Jeremy Beadle axles” as I call them, they look naff though don’t they? Sorry if my humour isn’t very P.C.

Saw some dutch registered tankers some time ago at a services on the M1, they had those tiddly lift axles, hidden behind the side fairing. They were hardly visible unless dropped.

allikat:
Saw some dutch registered tankers some time ago at a services on the M1, they had those tiddly lift axles, hidden behind the side fairing. They were hardly visible unless dropped.

Yes Van Bentum are running them on their trucks.

I saw a long nosed Scania with a 3rd axle, and it looked like something was falling off it :stuck_out_tongue: