Small claims court

I rent out a property that I used to live in. I wanted to move, but couldn’t afford it, so I now use the rental from this towards my own rent.

Anyway, a few months ago, the police smashed down the door looking for a tenant who left seven months ago. A quick call to the local council would have confirmed the names of the couple who were currently living there as they had registered when they moved in.

The door was completely destroyed, and obviously I had to get it replaced straight away. I rang the police, who said that they would send someone to board it up - at my expense! That was no good to the tenants as the back door leads to an enclosed garden and so the front door is their only access. I had to get it replaced that day.

Not surprisingly, the tenants have now left. The bloke they were after was found at another address and not one person from the police contacted me.

I wrote a letter of complaint asking for the cost (in excess of £500) to be paid back to me. No response. I wrote again when I had the invoices to send in. No response. I wrote to the police commissioner who said it was nothing to do with them. Eventually got a letter back saying that as they acted under a legal warrant, they would not be reimbursing anything.

I fail to see why I should have to pay up for their lack of proper investigation. Apparently, if it had been a council property, they would have to have paid! So it comes down to me. who has done nothing wrong, to foot the bill.

I wrote to my local MP who agreed that it didn’t seem fair. He suggested taking it to the small claims court.

So, anyone has dealings with complaints against the police like this? Any idea who I would name? I’m assuming it would be the Chief Constable for the police area concerned. Any other advice, information gratefully received.

You need to appoint a solicitor. That is all.

Rob K:

Hmm, I did consider that, just thought a solicitor might not be interested in what would probably be seen as a small case. Looking on some solicitors’ websites, they deal mainly with claims for wrongful imprisonment and police brutality etc. Although I suppose they get paid whatever the case, and I could add this to my claim.

Thanks for suggestion.

grumpybum:

Rob K:

Hmm, I did consider that, just thought a solicitor might not be interested in what would probably be seen as a small case. Looking on some solicitors’ websites, they deal mainly with claims for wrongful imprisonment and police brutality etc. Although I suppose they get paid whatever the case, and I could add this to my claim.

Thanks for suggestion.

Speak to a solicitor first that deals with police compo cases. S/he will tell you from experience whether you’ve got a leg to stand on. A free half hour consultation is all it’ll take to find this out.

If you rented out the property then you must have it insured so claim on the insurance simple as peeps :open_mouth:

Brian J:
If you rented out the property then you must have it insured so claim on the insurance simple as peeps :open_mouth:

Yes, I have insurance, but would have to pay £250 excess. I really don’t see why it should cost me anything. And you know that they’d get the rest back by putting up my premium next year.

CAB should be able to help with this

Most do have solicitors or the local law society