Slow site

I’ve not been the only one to notice that the site is getting slower and slower and is having much more down time that previously. Are the ‘directors’ onto fixing it :question: or do we need to click the banners more to improve it :grimacing: :question:

At times (like now) the pages are taking aeons to open and often a ‘critical error phpBB2 code 10 : forbidden access’ page appears instead (or something similar) :open_mouth:

Before anyone says it, it’s not my PC as it’s working perfectly speedily on any other website as I would expect.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sounds like it could be your ISP Rob! I have no problems with the speed of the site!

But if as you have said your puter is all ship shape it sounds like your ISP has a server down! maybe for maintanance, or some other excuse they give but thats my bet mate!

No Ian

As I’ve just said, it’s working fine on any other site, so how can it be the ISP :question:

Doh :grimacing:

When I mentioned a week or so ago, a few others replied saying they had the same problem. We can’t all be imagining it.

:sunglasses:

Rob!
your ISP will have about 8 servers maybe more all working hard so you can have your choosen fun on this internet thingy!

It is of course very possible that one server is slow, and you may well find that its the server that points in the direction of TruckNetUK, it may also be the only time you use this server when you visit this site! your other internet habbits may all use another server that is buzzing along quite happly!

I am not sugesting that this is the problem but I would never dismiss it!
with over 50,000 hits a week this site is visited by quite a few bods, I am sure if it was a site problem more bods will have complained by now :open_mouth: and besides TruckNet from my PC is very accessable and quick :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing:

Cache, tif’s and cookie’s all cleared and deleted and still the site is slow as a tortoise so that definitely rules out my ISP.

Next :exclamation:

:grimacing:

Rob K:
Cache, tif’s and cookie’s all cleared and deleted and still the site is slow as a tortoise so that definitely rules out my ISP.

Next :exclamation:

:grimacing:

Emm! no it doesnt rule out your ISP(Internet Service Provider) Cache, tif’s and cookie’s all cleared means it possibly isnt your web browser!

Try do a internet speed test mate I dont have any URL’s for one but if you google for one they are quite a few about!

For Forums here:
26.40 seconds
ISDN 128K 8.08 seconds
T1 1.44Mbps 0.70 seconds

Which I grant you is a bit slower than some sites, however this whole site is built dynamically… which means the pages are not static files, and every time a page is “Hit” it is rebuilt.

this allows us to ensure the content is up to date and relevant, and that any changes are reflected throughout the site.

Like any site… during busy periods the server wil struggle more than quiet, and if a large number of people are posting messages at the same time they will take longer to process… also bear in mind that we are based on USA servers, and although it may be a quiet time here… the routers in the US may be busy!!

Besides… what do you want for free■■? :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It’s just taken precisely 26 seconds after clicking the ‘reply’ button for the reply window to appear. If it was my site, I’d be rather concerned that something was wrong as that length of time would not be acceptable. I would expect it to appear with a maximum of 5 seconds, realistically more than 1-2 seconds, even with dial-up.

I’ve just belled my bro’ and a friend to try the site and they both agree it is taking beards for the pages to load. My bro’ is on a 2 meg connection with Nildram and my mate is on a half meg connection with Wanadoo.

However, if you feel that there isn’t a problem with those times, also the same amount of time for pages to load and pages to appear after selecting the ‘submit’ button then there is little I can do.

That aside, what is your hosts’ reason for the considerable down time over the past month or so :question:

I am not getting those delays either from home via a broadband connection or from the truck over a GSM connection.

As Rikki has pointed out the site is free so if a page takes afew seconds longer to load surely that can be forgiven. What would you do with those extra seconds anyway? :wink: :smiley:

Why is everything about going fast with you Rob? :wink: :smiley:

Hmm, having just posted that, the site is now working as expected again. It’s certainly intermittent. :confused:

no problems this end… :wink:

We haven’t had a problem with speed, but the site does seem to be down alot more than usual lately. One problem I’ve noticed is that after I sign in to answer a post, I’ll hit submit, and it asks me log in AGAIN, then loses the post I typed. Has this happened to anyone else? It’s happened quite a lot lately.