Slow down / Struggle

Is it me or has anyone else noticed the last two or three weeks has seen a marked slow down in Bulk movements.
The lack of grain carriage I can understand because the bottom has fallen out of the market but aggregates…?
None of the big boys were moving much last week and next week looks even worse.
Just asking if I’m right and if anyone can put their finger on the cause that’s all.

We are in South Shropshire and the bottom has fallen out of the aggregates and the asphalt job. Heard other quarries are in the same situation.
I am searching for a reason for it myself, but I suspect a lot of houses that have been built in places with poor wages are not selling too well.
Most of the aggregate companies have put the prices up a fair bit too to take advantage of the recent house building boom. Perhaps the developers are slowing it down to get a price cut.

I hear all the body builders have got in excess of 6 months waiting lists so someones got confidence,however I can remember 2008 and the same thing happened. I had a new 8w arriving and I wished it would have set on fire. LOL

Pursy

Agreed. I’ve tried to get loads out of Bayston and Haughmond Hill but there’s nothing doing

The price of grain is crap at moment but there is still a hell of a lot of wheat on farms still to shift so it’ll have to go sometime soon with harvest coming up!

Last week I was mainly carrying oilseed ■■■■ into Liverpool or Hull. Did 12 load in 4 days last week and 6 of them were OSR with wheat coming back out of Seaforth.

A store I went to still has 10000 ton to clear out before harvest as well. There’s plenty out there but it’s just not moving. I’ll look forward to the mad rush come end on June/beginning July!

Matt.

Agreed on that too Matt - we still have wheat to shift from our farm on behalf of the merchant - but no release date yet and with Harvest approaching ever nearer, we will need the room to store our own crops.
I have four motors going up to the North West everyday next week and I am struggling to hell to get loads back.
Pete

That be Roxhill Manor at Marston Moretaine if I’m thinking along right lines is it? Been in there a couple of times myself a few years ago. Don’t know whats shifting out of S2/G3 or the other Liverpool outlets as I only ever get foreign wheat out of Grain Terminal. I’d be trying Cargills myself but you’ve probably already been down that avenue?! Only other thing is salt out of Winsford but not sure what shifts at this time of year.

Matt.

Spot on Matt (roxhill).
Nothing out of S2 or G3 (southbound anyway) and salt movement isn’t happening either.
Something has to give soon though because as already mentioned, the farmers will need the space for new crops in 6 to 8 weeks - although we heard today some of them are prepared to sit on the grain until there is a significant market increase.

the company I work for are heavily in to recycling and we are flat out ,at the moment the new aldi distribution centre they are building I would say has had 99.9 % of recycled 6f2 thus taking orders from the local quarries.