Slow cooker

Has anyone every used one in there truck?
Throw all the stuff in whacked it on 4/8hours did there worked and it was ready when the stopped

No not on the move. Me and a mate of mine used to race motorbikes and we did it regular if we had electric hook up in a paddock.
Can’t beat the lovely aromas all day, and the meat we used just melted.

Bit of beef on for 8hours
Spot on and the smell is the best Thing about

Sounds good. Love the smell of beef cooking slow all day. Just gotta take it easy over bumps and like. Don’t wanna end up with it all over the cab floor :blush:

What a brilliant idea, we slow cook all the time at home, especially in the winter.
Can you buy one for the cab ?
If not I’m gonna invent one-Dragons Den- here I come !

My mate had a fat inverter and he used to plug his slow cooker and put it in the side locker cooking all day and then have a lovely bit of stew in the evenings

looked at one in Tesco’s the other week, looking at the power ratings it was only 300 watts, so you wouldn’t need a big inverter to run one :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Not much washing up to :wink:

I saw one one crane gang wondered if any truckers use them

Legend_Scania:
Not much washing up to :wink:

I saw one one crane gang wondered if any truckers use them

Dont they do truck dishwashers yet…dragons den here I come

Friends that have used them find them great, but although its nice to have a decent warm meal on the road , I going to rough it & stick to butties , I don’t like loads of stuff in the cab & it would be just ’ another item’ to cart about the place :confused:

You could gaffer tape it shut then crack it open at tea time.

I bought a travel one with a locking lid this weekend, it’s still in the box at home for now though. Most of the recipes I found online required the meat to be browned in a frying pan first and that put the kybosh on my plans :cry:

I checked it out and read that you can use raw meats, but I want to give it a try out at home first, just in case, I would not be a happy chappy if after 8hrs of delicious aromas the meal turned out to be NFG and I would likely launch my new cooker straight out the window.

As I said, I checked out some recipes online and you need quite a pantry, lots of herbs and spices etc, but although it will cost a few quid to set up, as you’ll only be using a quarter of the amounts (most meals are for four +) it should all last a while.

There is a website called roadcooking.com or something like that, it is specifically for lorry drivers, well truckers actually as it’s American, so there’s a lot of cheese involved :laughing:

Any tips for where to go for recipes would be most welcome, I’m sick to my stomach of crap truckstop food and burgers, so I’ve been bring stuff with me and nuking it, but it tends to get a bit chewy by the end of the week. I’m also limited to what I can bring along and it takes a lot of my time off to get it all done. Freshly cooked stuff every day with little effort sounds like heaven to me :wink:

Not exactly a truck but I’m working on a boat at present where we have to fend for ourselves and so I have invested in a slow cooker and a rice steamer, I go to the nearest supermarket and buy cooking sauces and the fresh raw meat (whatever varieties I fancy) and just chuck in whichever I fancy each day during the week, so far this week I have had chicken Jalzreezi 3 times (with rice) as I forgot to put it in the freezer, when it’s gone sweet an sour pork (with rice) is next. :slight_smile:

Simple recipe.

Needs a quick trip to the supermarket.
Half a Raw chicken or a small one, or a couple of thigh/breasts.
chicken stock cube x 2
1 pint water/boiling.
Few potatoes.
Few carrots.

Chuck it all in the cooker, switch it on, do a days work ! (8 hours min)
Voila’ Yummy slow cooked Chicken !

You can also get slow cook packet mixes in the supermarkets, just add meat & a few veg.

spoonful.com/recipes/slow-cooker-recipes

Box of Dried Lentils & Dried Barley is handy to have in the cab Kitchen as well to bulk the stews out a bit.

Lamb shank with potatoes.
Pork Ribs.
Beef stew.

It all falls off the bone or melts in the mouth after being slow cooked for a few hours.

I’m bloody hungry now !!! Lol.

As viking said they now do slow cooker packets had them at one if I remember righly you don’t brown any off

They do curry which is tasty as hell

All this food talk making me hungry :cry:

Use one all the time at home - chuck all the ingredients in - dont bother browning the meat - we have ours set on a timer as used for lights.

Put the food in at 0700 and then when we get in at 1830 the smell is wonderful and dinner is ready.

DONT do pasta in it for the full time it turns to snot.

We chuck pasta in for 30 mins with mince and a bolonese sause and its wonderful.

Put carrotts and spuds in for the whole day and they come out a treat.

Current got chicken balti cooking and did jacket spuds last night to have with it.

The Biker:
Use one all the time at home - chuck all the ingredients in - dont bother browning the meat - we have ours set on a timer as used for lights.

Put the food in at 0700 and then when we get in at 1830 the smell is wonderful and dinner is ready.

DONT do pasta in it for the full time it turns to snot.

We chuck pasta in for 30 mins with mince and a bolonese sause and its wonderful.

Put carrotts and spuds in for the whole day and they come out a treat.

Current got chicken balti cooking and did jacket spuds last night to have with it.

I’ll have to give the bolonese a test

martinviking:
What a brilliant idea, we slow cook all the time at home, especially in the winter.
Can you buy one for the cab ?
If not I’m gonna invent one-Dragons Den- here I come !

Army has had them for years, lid locks shut and they survived off road in Tanks etc etc, an ex squaddie will tell you what they called them. Worked on 24v dc I think.

Is any newbie thinking of “tramping” reading this and still thinking its a good idea?

Jesus, after a long day at work surely you must be entitled to a decent meal. i.e. Sitting down at a table like a civilised human being.

When I did tramping back in the day this would never have happened. We used to always go out for a meal, a pint…when in Bristol a game of 10 pin. Its a shame the jobs gone this way. By that I mean its not just the expence of going to a pub for a meal, its the daft start and finish times drivers have nowadays.
Slow cookers in lorries!!! Whatever next?

I can find plenty of tables to sit at, I just don’t like the slops that I have to eat, warmed up in a microwave crap that is only a step away from being plastic :cry:

This is why I want to make my own food, all natural ingredients (I even raise my own beef and lamb) it may be anti social, but it is better for my health :bulb: