Sloppy / floppy gear shift Iveco Cargo

Hey all

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Iveco Cargo 3.9l

So the gear stick is sloppy. Lots of left to right movement. Bit of a pain in the arse tbh as it can be difficult to find gears and easy to whack in reverse instead of #2.

Is there a general issue with these and typically what is the issue? Is it usually the shift stick itself? Or the bush under the cab that goes from stick to support bracket [see pic of bush I mean]?

short answer, theyre all like that now, but if you want a improvement, buy every bush and linkage and replace, will cost you though.

Is there’s something odd about that picture? the OP says it is a 2002 Iveco Ford Cargo with a 3.9 engine. A 3.9 engine is a 4 cylinder ■■■■■■■ B series - a vertical engine with the exhaust manifold on the offside. That looks very much like the inlet manifold of 4.1 litre 4 cylinder Ford Dorset engine which lays over to the nearside. By 2002 that engine was IIRC no longer fitted, the Iveco 80(4?)1 engine, which would be more current to 2002, is different and the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 3.9 ISBE engine has a different shaped manifold and would surely be too early a fitment in 2002?

looks like the tector engine fitted to every cargo 75e15 and 75e17 since 2001

I’m sure it is the 3920cc engine guys.

Problem with these I have found is parts don’t seem too easy to come buy, not the little parts like bushes anyway.

I did read it’s more likely sloppy shift gear than the linkage but I haven’t looked yet…

That rod in the picture, should it be solid or should it have enough play side to side… and is there a bridge repair anybody has found successful for the shift stick slop