Slightly Worried

I have noticed how the threads concerning serious accidents involving fellow drivers seem to lean more sympathetically towards younger and female drivers yet a 45 year old male driver is barely mentioned. An example being the recent tragic events recorded here where one thread has 153 hits and another only has 10 hits. Why is this?

ALL these are events are to be lamented and hopefully don’t become a regular feature but surely one life has the same value as another and the pain felt by those directly involved or touched by them cannot be measured by anyone who has not been involved so.

The very public out pouring of grief for those we do not know is, I think a little hypocritical and I think that a PM sent to those involved if you feel the need would be far more appropriate in the circumstances.

Just my own thoughts and not meant to offend anyone. I sincerely hope that the lady in question makes a full recovery but also feel for the family and relatives of the chap who will never come home.

Sent from my iPhone using my right index finger!

It might be that one incident had a lot more publicity than the other I think! :frowning:

STOP WORRYING…
Just follow the two second rule and your chances of being another statistic will be greatly reduced.
and on the same vein, all we need to do is educate some of our fellow drivers that they don’t need to clean our windscreen as they pull back in after overtaking… having another truck 2 or 3 feet in front of you is not nice and is just as dangerous.
try this next time, once you have been flashed in, acknowledge it in the usual way, but stay in lane for a while longer until you can see a good gap between you both. You might only be doing 1 or 2 kph difference in speed so there is no rush to dive back in like some morons do.

I don’t get what’s so interesting about women doing traditional male jobs and why it’s so exciting for TV programmes. Like Lisa in IRT or the bird in Trucks and Trailers.

Would anyone be interested if a male truck driver got a job in a Nail Bar? (Edit: excluding hand jobs)

fredthered:
I have noticed how the threads concerning serious accidents involving fellow drivers seem to lean more sympathetically towards younger and female drivers yet a 45 year old male driver is barely mentioned. An example being the recent tragic events recorded here where one thread has 153 hits and another only has 10 hits. Why is this?

I can see where you’re coming from.

Last November, I witnessed a four year old girl get killed by a HGV on the M6. I didn’t post anything about it until a few weeks later, to be honest it [zb]ed me up and it’s something that still troubles me to this day. Somebody else started a topic about it though and I think it got about three or four replies before sinking into the archives. At the same time there were threads about lorry drivers that had been killed that received much more attention and it annoyed me slightly that people seemed to value the life of a fellow professional over that of an innocent child.

The difference with the latest accident is the girl survived what many other people wouldn’t have. At first the outlook looked bleak. Many people wrote her off after reading rumours posted on Twitter or Facebook and then posted messages of condolence without knowing for sure if she was still alive or not. I found that truly disgusting and it made some people look like vultures circling overhead waiting for the slightest hint that she had died so they could be the first to post a RIP message. I might have got that completely wrong, but that’s what it looked like.

The other accidents are more cut and dried. Someone gets killed, a few people post RIP messages and it’s gone. The fact that the M1 Northampton accident got (and is still getting) a lot of attention is probably down to the fact that the girl didn’t die, she survived the unthinkable and four days later is showing signs of recovery. People want to get behind her and show support. Had she actually died, I don’t think it would have got anywhere near as much attention.

Having said that, would it have got the same response if it was a 45 year old male that survived? Probably not.

Most of us are somebody’s father, brother, husband or boyfriend and can relate to and imagine what it would be like if it was our daughter, sister, wife or girlfriend in that condition. We have a basic natural instinct programmed into us to protect the female of species. Perhaps that goes someway to explain it?

I don’t know.

I agree, if she had died I would have maybe posted a RIP and moved on, the fact she has been fighting the last few days has made me check daily to see if she is making progress in the right direction, ■■■■■ big time every time I read about a fatality of a fellow driver, nobody should leave his family behind all the name of a stinking job,

Reminds me that it doesn’t matter how well I try to drive I can be taken out like any of those people who have gone before us, that’s what keeps it real for me.

Far too many deaths this year so it seems…

One death is one to many and so is one serious injury,sometimes it’s bad driving others times bad luck, but I strongly beleave a lot of it is the roads are just to congested I keep asking myself if traffic volumes continue rising what position will the m way network be in in say ten years time,
I feel for anyone who’s lost any one in a R T A weather they be be male female young old black or white, we are all equal.stay safe n drive according to the conditions

fredthered:

ALL these are events are to be lamented and hopefully don’t become a regular feature but surely one life has the same value as another and the pain felt by those directly involved or touched by them cannot be measured by anyone who has not been involved so.

The very public out pouring of grief for those we do not know is, I think a little hypocritical and I think that a PM sent to those involved if you feel the need would be far more appropriate in the circumstances.

Just my own thoughts and not meant to offend anyone. I sincerely hope that the lady in question makes a full recovery but also feel for the family and relatives of the chap who will never come home.

Sent from my iPhone using my right index finger!

+1.

+2
Amazing a thread can get so many hits, i think the words 21 Blonde and Female affected a lot of male lorry drivers minds.

fredthered:

I suppose because this type of thing is always harder to take when somebody is younger. If my son and myself were killed in a crash, there would be far more grief felt for my son than for myself, and I wouldn’t expect it to be any other way.

Possibly the fact that she is female has some small bearing on it because an item is always more newsworthy when the profile of the person in the news differs from the norm.

Possibly the fact that she did not die in the accident but is fighting for life and so the news is ongoing.

Various reasons I suppose, all just reflecting human nature. I don’t think it is anything to be even slightly worried about.

Harry Monk:
I don’t think it is anything to be even slightly worried about.

+1

I can see why it probably has had more posts than similar ones involving male drivers. I have a 4yr old daughter, an 8yr old niece and a 6yr old nephew. I love them all dearly and would never ever want anything bad to happen to them. You would do anything to protect them. But for some reason you are always extra protective over the girls and you always worry more about them too. It could just be a fatherly instinct thing. A young girl/lady has come to some grief and you start feeling the pain.

I wish anyone involved or affected by accidents my thoughts and best wishes and hope and pray I never have to go through what you all have went through.

monarch of the highway:
One death is one to many and so is one serious injury,sometimes it’s bad driving others times bad luck, but I strongly beleave a lot of it is the roads are just to congested I keep asking myself if traffic volumes continue rising what position will the m way network be in in say ten years time,
I feel for anyone who’s lost any one in a R T A weather they be be male female young old black or white, we are all equal.stay safe n drive according to the conditions

Doesn’t matter how busy a motorway gets, there’s no excuse for not leaving a sensible gap between you and the vehicle in front!
Sensible gap = you don’t die, “simples” ( oh how I hate that phrase)

weeto:

monarch of the highway:

Doesn’t matter how busy a motorway gets, there’s no excuse for not leaving a sensible gap between you and the vehicle in front!

And of course you know that is what happened don’t you?

Have you seen the pictures, have you even read the story?

Wheel Nut:

weeto:

monarch of the highway:

And of course you know that is what happened don’t you?

Have you seen the pictures, have you even read the story?

Happened where?
I was just refering to how some trucks are driven these days by some drivers
I wasn’t actually refering to any particular incidents that have been mentioned on these threads.
Although I have seen incidents which were caused by drivers, driving to close to the vehicle in front, and ended up rear ending it.
Oh by the way, I didn’t need to see the pictures of the M1 incident, I drove past it!

I think the issue is as Harry says be the victim male or female they are embarking out on the adult life and driving career and to have something like this happen to them and what she went through at the side of the motorway while trapped is harrowing.

jessicas dad:
I think the issue is as Harry says be the victim male or female they are embarking out on the adult life and driving career and to have something like this happen to them and what she went through at the side of the motorway while trapped is harrowing.

Also of course, as we often read, the average lorry driver is in their early fifties and so a 21 year old of either ■■■ fits in perfectly with the age of our own children. I’m sure that as well as our concern for Mandy Robinson’s plight, we can all imagine what anxiety her parents are going through at the moment.