Slightly over the allowed driving time

Today for the first time I couldn’t manage to find a place to take my break. Had to go to Eastleigh just off J13 M3 and when I did the delivery the tacho showed 10 minutes to break time after 4.5 hrs, couldn’t find anywhere to park, all roads were chocka full of cars and double yellow lines everywhere. Got on to the M3 and made it to Winchester Services, total drive time of 4hrs 46 min, stopped for the remainder of the break,(30 min) and carried on. How will this be logged on the card. As an Infringment or something more serious.

I’m sure it will be nothing to worry about chap, it comes under one of those things that happens. Ie:traffic jams etc… I think your meant to just let your boss know the reason, and also right it on the back of the tacho/print out sheet the reason for the delay in taking a break. :sunglasses:

Paul-H:
stopped for the remainder of the break,(30 min) and carried on

Did you already have a 15 mins or more break previous to the 30 mins break?

Paul-H:
for the first time I couldn’t manage to find a place to take my break…total drive time of 4hrs 46 min

If you had the 45 min (or 15 + 30) break for this driving period then do not worry - just put reason on printout or back of card - VOSA do not prosecute for a once-in-a-blue-moon over-run like this.

Your compay might not be happy but that’s not prosecutable

Unfortunately couldn’t print out today, no paper. Will do either tomorrow or when I get a chance. Had a 15min break already and was planing to stop at Winchester anyway. As i’m agency, not sure how they’ll take it but did tell the TM when i got back.Thanks chaps.

Paul-H:
Unfortunately couldn’t print out today, no paper.

That is prosecutable if stopped by VOSA or police !!!

Will have to reload the paper in the morning.

Paul-H:
Will have to reload the paper in the morning.

:bulb: Always carry a spare roll :bulb:

I have heard that VOSA like you to carry atleast 3 spare rolls of paper, I know you have to carry spares but do you have to carry 3 spares or is this a driver myth.

Big Brummie Macca:
I have heard that VOSA like you to carry atleast 3 spare rolls of paper, I know you have to carry spares but do you have to carry 3 spares or is this a driver myth.

You need to carry sufficient thermal paper to print out your records, no mention of carrying 1, 2 , or 3 rolls, a box of rolls normally comes with three rolls in it.

Responsibilities of operators
Operators of transport undertakings have legal responsibilities and liabilities for their own compliance
with the regulations and that of the drivers under their control.
Transport undertakings must:

• ensure that tachographs have been calibrated, inspected and recalibrated in line with the rules;
  • supply sufficient quantity of type-approved charts and printer rolls to drivers;

Big Brummie Macca:

Myth. There is nothing in the regulations which says you have to carry any spares at all. You just need to carry sufficient paper but what is regarded as sufficient is not defined. it could be the roll in the unit is sufficient. Having said that it is probably wise to carry a roll in addition to the one in the VU.

Thanks Coffee and Wheel Nut I will always try and make sure I have a couple of spares with me, one thing I have learnt already is you never know what will happen in this industry