Slight turn of events

Not sure what this exactly comes under so I apologise in advance for boring anyone.

I was due to start at my new job as a class one driver at a distribution company on Jan the 9th, which was all good. However since then I have been doing some work for a recovery company driving a low loader (which is great to drive, daf xf split box) and being a roadside tech in a van (I’m a qualified car tech). Thing is today bossman pulled me inside and offered me a job, I did say and he knows I have a job starting, but he’s offered slightly more money per hour (which is v good) and a straight 12 hour shift which starts at my front door. I would be doing the heavy recovery (wreckers and low loaders) when required (which i do really want to do as well) and doing trunk runs between sites in the low loader transporting scrappers when quiet. Oh and I get my own van as well which is sweet.

Due to the variety I have decided not to go for my original job. It’s been a big decision especially for a new pass and I hope it’s the right one. First time in a while I have really enjoyed being at work and the variety is great. Sorry if this is waffling tosh just wanted to air my thoughts.

Regards arborist

Sounds like a no brainier mate, you know the work, money’s better, cha Ching [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I would ask, is there a contract?

Yes there is a proper contract outlining hours/job etc. I would say the only downside I have to work some weekends (rolling rota) however other job was more or less the same. The company is quite big and has all the major contracts but not so big the bossman doesn’t just sit in the office as he’s out in the truck when it gets busy.

Sounds decent mate. Good that the boss knows the score too and can appreciate the work that’s being done

Sounds like a winner to me

Sounds like you’ve answered your own questions mate but understand you want others opinions. I’d go for it.

Holidays the same ?
Wages better ?
Better job ?
No reason to leave then.

Cheers lads I appreciate the input. I just don’t like too seem like a ungrateful sod as I’m really not. :slight_smile:

Cov:
Holidays the same ?
Wages better ?
Better job ?
No reason to leave then.

1. Yes exactly the same
  2. Yup
  3. I would say so just as I’m good at it(fixing cars anyway)and it’s varied
  4. That’s what I thought

Sounds like a top job,most posts on here want what you have been offered if I was you go for it well done and a Happy New Year New Job :smiley:

I reckon you are doing the right thing mate.

Best of luck with it.

Some one is bound to quote it now CoCo, i’m even tempted! :wink:

As for your choice Arborist, it goes like this…

Rule number one in this game is look after number 1.
Rule number two is to follow rule 1 trying NOT to burn bridges or shafting people…

Best of luck mate! :smiley:

Hmmm how does this, bonus paid in cash work then? All above board?

About the bonus. It’s more of a token/tip kind of thing we are not talking big money by any means. I didn’t think about that so good shout. Any considerable amount is paid via paye and taxed accordingly. Like I say the company is all above board and a lot of the drivers have been there over 5 years and don’t really have any moans which is a good thing really.

Thanks for all the nice replies too, I do count myself as lucky and I believe there are good jobs out there for people who are happy to put in a bit of graft to get it, oh and a sprinkle of luck.

What’s that geezer waffling on about cash, ah time of day, hic wassat :unamused:

Think carefully about how you let the other guys down (the ones you accepted previously, but are now rejecting in favour of a better deal).

Try to be as gentle and apologetic as possible, and be careful not to upset them. If things go pear-shaped (and in my experience this can happen very quickly and suddenly in haulage), it might still be be a good fallback plan.

ORC:
Think carefully about how you let the other guys down (the ones you accepted previously, but are now rejecting in favour of a better deal).

Try to be as gentle and apologetic as possible, and be careful not to upset them. If things go pear-shaped (and in my experience this can happen very quickly and suddenly in haulage), it might still be be a good fallback plan.

I emailed the nice lady who I dealt with in the hr department and explained why I could not start and that I was very thankful for the job offer. Which I believe was taken well as they sent a corresponding email back wishing me the best in the new job etc. I don’t like to burn my bridges and I count myself as a professional and a decent bloke. Thanks for the advice, well received as always.

Arborist:
…and a lot of the drivers have been there over 5 years and don’t really have any moans which is a good thing really.

Be afraid, be VERY afraid ! Never met a driver who doesn’t complain yet !