Sleeping in lay bys

As someone who has only been tramping a couple months now and thus far being able to normally find somewhere quiet or at least some form of truck stop. Today though I’ve simply ran out of hours and I’m having to sleep in a lay by for the night.

I do think im going to struggle as im a fairly light sleeper, with obviously lorries going by and your cab shaking like mad. Is this something you tend to get used to?

I have seen others positioned facing away from the road, does this help with the buffeting?

Any other lay by tips would be appreciated…
Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Wind the legs down cuts the rocking of passing traffic just don’t forget in the morning :grimacing: :grimacing:

Oh nice one! Cheers for that.

Daytrunker:
Wind the legs down cuts the rocking of passing traffic just don’t forget in the morning

This helps but leave a note on your dash reminding you, also if you are close to traffic fold your mirror in otherwise it might be gone come the morning, also put your head on the nearside of the cab by when you bed down just in case some clown stoves into the side of the cab.

It’s all in the mind - I slept fine in laybys for years, then some said to me how much they hated nights in a lay bys as they couldn’t sleep for all the noise and buffeting, this concept puzzled me, So the next time I parked up I took notice, and they were right, its horrific, I have never had a proper nights sleep in a lay by since - I wonder if it had never been pointed out to me if I would have continued sleeping like a log?

bald bloke:

Daytrunker:
Wind the legs down cuts the rocking of passing traffic just don’t forget in the morning

This helps but leave a note on your dash reminding you, also if you are close to traffic fold your mirror in otherwise it might be gone come the morning, also put your head on the nearside of the cab by when you bed down just in case some clown stoves into the side of the cab.

is that why you’re bald ?

raxore:
As someone who has only been tramping a couple months now and thus far being able to normally find somewhere quiet or at least some form of truck stop. Today though I’ve simply ran out of hours and I’m having to sleep in a lay by for the night.

I do think im going to struggle as im a fairly light sleeper, with obviously lorries going by and your cab shaking like mad. Is this something you tend to get used to?

I have seen others positioned facing away from the road, does this help with the buffeting?

Any other lay by tips would be appreciated…
Thanks!

4 cans of lager does the trick, I always try to find a layby that’s set back from the road, but the odd occasion where i can’t i usually stay up a little later, make sure no caffeine drinks are consumed and i have a good meal, that way i’m ready to sleep and usually out for the count once i’ve got my head down.

Bluey Circles:

bald bloke:

Daytrunker:

Yeah funny, but i always feel more comfortable knowing if some ■■■■ stoves into the side of the cab he might take my feet off rather than take my head off, i don’t know if anyone else has had this thought before.

i have used laybys most of my working life, if theyre not seperated, i usually run the n/s wheel up the kerb, and at an angle…never had a problem, but as someone said, a 4 pack usually does the trick.

Also drop the air in the suspension if rigid as it cuts down rocking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luke Vernon posted a YouTube video about this where he basically says full uncouple the trailer and drive the unit forward just enough so the 5th wheel is out from underneath so there is no contact between traiker and unit. Just don’t forget in the morning as others have said otherwise you’ll get a 100 miles down the road thinking your load has become very light.

Rowley010:
Luke Vernon posted a YouTube video about this where he basically says full uncouple the trailer and drive the unit forward just enough so the 5th wheel is out from underneath so there is no contact between traiker and unit. Just don’t forget in the morning as others have said otherwise you’ll get a 100 miles down the road thinking your load has become very light.

Keep the airlines connected, that way once you attempt to drive off you;ll rip all the lines off and lose air which will remind you that the trailer wasnt coupled…

AndrewG:

Rowley010:

Keep the airlines connected, that way once you attempt to drive off you;ll rip all the lines off and lose air which will remind you that the trailer wasnt coupled…

Top tip!!

bald bloke:

Bluey Circles:

bald bloke:

Daytrunker:

Yeah funny, but i always feel more comfortable knowing if some [zb] stoves into the side of the cab he might take my feet off rather than take my head off, i don’t know if anyone else has had this thought before.

You make a very good point, big dangers sleeping in a lay by and yes having my head on the safe side is something I did. There is also dangers in someone rear ending you, you may feel safe with 36t of trailer behind but if something big hits that at speed you could be through your own windscreen.

Rowley010:

Never thought of doing that, but just having the trailer a foot back of the plate would offer massive protection.

What ive done when been a layby close to the road is drop the trailer and pull forward just lifting the unit suspension so the fifth wheel is just kissing the rubbing plate on the trailer .
Had a horrendous night in a layby on the A41 just outside Chester going towards Whitchurch , fridge pulling paddies :smiling_imp: on the limiter, :unamused: cab rocking like hell I think I slept 5 mins all night . Needless to say I hadn’t taken my own advice that night . :cry: Never again :exclamation:

I’ve not done that many nights out, but when I do it’s an industrial estate every time for me. Let us know how your first lay-by night goes mate!

PS. If a chap called ’ Dave ’ knocks on your cab at midnight, for God’s sake don’t open your door.

Can’t really give you any tips as my nights out ended long ago, but if a driver pulls into your layby during the night pulling a fridge it could well be me. I often find it bloody near impossible to find somewhere to stop for a break on nights as most of the laybys are full up with sleeping drivers. I do try to be considerate and not wake any up but it is difficult sometimes.

Why do Drivers nearly always think they have to max out,instead of looking to park up a bit earlier in a reasonable place.
They more than likely pass by places because they still have 30 minutes left to run,and then they do all the usual end of shift stuff in their own time.

Sometimes its happens and the best laid plans go wrong delays loading unloading. Traffic etc usually I avoid these laybys but sometimes its necessary

lolipop:
Why do Drivers nearly always think they have to max out,instead of looking to park up a bit earlier in a reasonable place.
They more than likely pass by places because they still have 30 minutes left to run,and then they do all the usual end of shift stuff in their own time.

I’m glad we’ve got tacho laws. You’d have pph planks driving to the doorstep of the next job if we didn’t. I think by the hour payments should be banned in the transport industry personally