Sleeper cabs in belgium

Anyone have any info on the rumours going around ? You Carnt sleep in your cab in belgium ! You must stay in hotel !

Hi! Yes you can but you vant take your weekly 45 hour rest tough.

Reg Danne

So we need to find a hotel for weekend! That will cause some probs! Hotels arnt cheap ! And will they allow trucks on there car park? What next?

THE FIN103:
So we need to find a hotel for weekend! That will cause some probs! Hotels arnt cheap ! And will they allow trucks on there car park? What next?

The impracticality of it is the whole point, that way they’re guaranteed to have huge amounts of people to fine. Quite ironic that the French for example will fine a working man for spending 45 hours in a truck, yet will not arrest an illegal immigrant in Calais who is breaking the law by being there in the first place. We all stand by and accept it though, so we’re all jointly responsible for being abused in this way by the authorities.

You can still have a 45 hr break in the cab in France and Belgium but only if you don’t have a reduced break available .

chester1:
You can still have a 45 hr break in the cab in France and Belgium but only if you don’t have a reduced break available .

What does that mean in practical terms though? If you had a full 45 last weekend and this weekend get to or near your customer in France on Saturday morning but they’re closed until Monday? Are you to only show 24-44.59 as rest and then activate the tacho to show on-duty even though you’re still sat in your truck doing nothing? It all seems to be the height of pedantic bureaucracy to me, but then the French are the best at that and always have been.

As a regular on the purfleet to zeebrugee crossing ,tilbury zeebrugee talking to the local Taliban on the boats mainly North Sea express guys they say that what the way around the problem is to park up the trailer in zeebrugee and they just go solo to the holland border and have there weekend rest in holland the other way round it is they ship them with a load to uk to get there rest here as they work other here anyway bit of a joke really trying to get ferrys on this route now is becoming impossible as they are filling up the boats these guys do there homework they ain’t dull far from it

Having passed jabbeke on the last 2 sundays it doesnt look like anything has changed

If the plod catch you sleeping in your truck,how much is the fine??

1800 euro in Belgium
30000 euro in France with owner getting upto 12 months prison

gettin-on:
1800 euro in Belgium

So that’ll be a 300,000 fine in Spain then, to be paid immidately while standing on one foot in fancy dress, the dress being dependent on the region of Spain and which way the wind is blowing.

You were joking weren’t you? At first glance I took it to be so, but in this day and age EU bureaucratic madness and over zealous fines etc, I’m not so sure.

They should impose a big fine to those foreign drivers who don’t pay on our services! Then again given the chance I wouldn’t pay either !

Irony.

It isn’t just something your Mother does to your shirts you know!

The fine in Belgium is 30,000 for the owner of the truck and 1000 euros for the driver.
Not sure how this can be enforced if there are 100 trucks, all with their cab curtains drawn on a 45 hour weekly rest,and the driver does not open the door to the Police banging on the door.

Does anybody have copy of the paragraph in European law which specifically states you cannot spend a full 45hr weekly break in your truck and if so were does it say you have to use a hotel, you may have relatives in the area. If the answer to these questions is no we need to have a test case to settle it one way or the other.

robinhood_1984:

gettin-on:
1800 euro in Belgium

So that’ll be a 300,000 fine in Spain then, to be paid immidately while standing on one foot in fancy dress, the dress being dependent on the region of Spain and which way the wind is blowing.

You were joking weren’t you? At first glance I took it to be so, but in this day and age EU bureaucratic madness and over zealous fines etc, I’m not so sure.

Not joking and not a typo 30000euro

The fine in Belgium is 30,000 Euros for the truck owner and 1000 Euros for the driver.
Yes, thirty thousand.

That’s crazy !! Imagine a couple of drivers from same company parked up together.! 62000euros! No company could afford that! They would be finished! Is it the same for LUX. ?

am I reading this right? If you are weekended in Belgium or France as you’re out of hrs, you must stay in a Hotel?

Really ? and who is supposed to pay for that on the crap haulage rates you get doing Europe?

can someone clarify the stupid poxy EU rules ? Another crass law imposed by Brussels?

you do have to question , why you would bother running a haulage company into Europe!?

Has anyone actually been fined for this? If so it would be interesting to see the ticket issued as it should have the details of the offence committed and the section of the road traffic act that was infringed. This has been going on for quite a while now and it would amazing if no-one has been fined up to now,