Sleep

Just spent two weeks working for a small firm and finding out how firms use the rules on hours as a guide to minimum requirements! Up at 01.15, hour drive to work. Start work at 2.30 am, find unit and then trailer in dark yard and put them together, do checks and paperwork. Drive to first drop - 3- 4 hours driving - and have 45 while being unloaded (though unloading also includes “other work” as it takes a couple of hours and which I record as other work). Drive empty to next place and switch trailers for a full one, get 15 break while paperwork is sorted for me (by someone else). Drive on for 4 hours and take 30, then on to next drop and switch trailers, then back to base, fuel truck, wash and drop trailer, do paperwork… by which time it’s 16.00 - 17.00 or thereabouts and nearly on 15 hours. Drive home, eat, go to bed at 19.00 - 20.00 and get up again at 01.15 and repeat.

About 9 hours driving a day, (went over on two days but under 10) but (just) under 45 in the week. 45 minute breaks when required so all ok (and I’m not working at all during the breaks). On Monday Tuesday and Wednesday nights I got 9 hours break, on Thursday I had an “early” finish and got an 11 hour break. Total time logged was well over 60 hours each week, but as I’m an agency driver I’m only going to be doing this for a couple of weeks at a time.

I think the only potential unlawful bit is doing night shifts of over 10 hours duration but understand there is an “opt out” from that regulation and that it’s not likely to be pursued?

So I believe this is all lawful, and probably others are doing the same. It would be good to know. It’s interesting because I’ve had about five hours sleep a night (at best). Even with the aid of strong coffee I reckon my driving has to be compromised by tiredness, and I’ve taken a week off this week and am sleeping more than usual so probably suffering from sleep deprivation. I’ll earn about £500 a week for it (before deductions), it pays £85 a day plus £10 an hour over 12 in the day. But even though I really enjoy the driving it’s work eat sleep and no life!

And that’s what’s wrong with this job having to do 2 weeks work each week for 1 weeks money,you will get drivers saying get on with it that’s trucking for you but no other job would put up with it.

kvin:
Just spent two weeks working for a small firm and finding out how firms use the rules on hours as a guide to minimum requirements! Up at 01.15, hour drive to work. Start work at 2.30 am, find unit and then trailer in dark yard and put them together, do checks and paperwork. Drive to first drop - 3- 4 hours driving - and have 45 while being unloaded (though unloading also includes “other work” as it takes a couple of hours and which I record as other work). Drive empty to next place and switch trailers for a full one, get 15 break while paperwork is sorted for me (by someone else). Drive on for 4 hours and take 30, then on to next drop and switch trailers, then back to base, fuel truck, wash and drop trailer, do paperwork… by which time it’s 16.00 - 17.00 or thereabouts and nearly on 15 hours. Drive home, eat, go to bed at 19.00 - 20.00 and get up again at 01.15 and repeat.

About 9 hours driving a day, (went over on two days but under 10) but (just) under 45 in the week. 45 minute breaks when required so all ok (and I’m not working at all during the breaks). On Monday Tuesday and Wednesday nights I got 9 hours break, on Thursday I had an “early” finish and got an 11 hour break. Total time logged was well over 60 hours each week, but as I’m an agency driver I’m only going to be doing this for a couple of weeks at a time.

I think the only potential unlawful bit is doing night shifts of over 10 hours duration but understand there is an “opt out” from that regulation and that it’s not likely to be pursued?

So I believe this is all lawful, and probably others are doing the same. It would be good to know. It’s interesting because I’ve had about five hours sleep a night (at best). Even with the aid of strong coffee I reckon my driving has to be compromised by tiredness, and I’ve taken a week off this week and am sleeping more than usual so probably suffering from sleep deprivation. I’ll earn about £500 a week for it (before deductions), it pays £85 a day plus £10 an hour over 12 in the day. But even though I really enjoy the driving it’s work eat sleep and no life!

It sounds like you are doing too much for your sleep requirements. Ok short term, but longer term don’t do it. Driving an hour each way to work is a non starter if you’re doing 13-15 hour shifts regularly. Yes, a lot of drivers are doing similar hours. Coffee has no impact on sleep deprivation at all. It only makes you think you’re OK which is worse not better! The only known cure for tiredness is sleep.

As long as you aren’t exceeding the daily/weekly driving time limits and you are having breaks and rest as you should you will remain legal. Whether you will remain alert and confident you are fit to drive is another matter altogether…

I won’t comment on the pay as it inflames some peeps on here. If you’re happy with it mate that’s all that matters.

Maybe you should try and find some work nearer to home if you can. At least it will cut down your journey times to and from work. :wink:

mac12:
And that’s what’s wrong with this job having to do 2 weeks work each week for 1 weeks money,you will get drivers saying get on with it that’s trucking for you but no other job would put up with it.

■■■■ right^^^^^^^^

Thats the reality of day work. Start tramping, you’ve got no social life after work anyway so you mite aswell be up the road, you’ll earn abit more and have more rest time.

Agreed - too little sleep for me longterm and better to try and find a job closer to home. I’ve spent the last week doing a similar job - an hour’s drive to start at 6.30 (pm this time), pick up truck and find trailer, drive to depot, load pallets and crates of parcels. Couple of hours up to the “hub” and chaotic unloading then nearly five hours in a parking area being loaded every hour or so with a pallet (so no chance of sleep). Take on final load on the bay, drive back to base, unload and park up and drive home. 12 hour shift, 14 hours total, time for food and bed for 6 hours then get up and repeat. And £85 a shift…pretty crap. £7 an hour or so for night work.

Fortunately there is light at the end of the tunnel (and maybe not an approaching train) as I’ve passed an assessment with a firm 15 minutes away that pays £10.50 an hour for night trunking… and although I’ve only had my licence since March as I’ve driven a lot (now over 20,000 k’s in artics) since then they have agreed to take me on via the agency and I have a weeks work promised next week. Fingers crossed I can make the step. I think that when you’ve little experience and only just got your licence like me you might have to take what’s offered to build up knowledge and experience - I’m getting there!