Sleep driving

Heard on the radio this morning that BRAKE the road safety pressure group believe that many drivers drive a long distance after only 5 hours or less of sleep.

I often go to bed at 9 - 10 pm and get up at 2 - 3 am. After driving for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours I usually pull over and have a 30 minute sleep. Later when I am near my 4 1/2 driving stint I pull over and have a further 15 - 25 minutes sleep. I find that doing this I feel good all day and don’t feel unusually tired.

However if I go to bed at 9 pm and don’t have to get up till 5-30 am or later I end up feeling tired all day and stopping for a 30 minute sleep has little effect on my tiredness.

How do you manage your rest needs ■■?

I very rarely have more than 4 - 5 hours of sleep any night, working or at home, and it’s been that way for about the last 30 years. When I’m at home I never go to bed on the same day as I get up. :slight_smile: Don’t need any more than that although I do sometimes have a 15 - 20 minute nap during the day.

snap

I find that a good nights sleep, either in the truck or at home, doesnt stead well in the day after! I suspect it may have something to do with natural body clock!

Im fine all day but after a days driving or a day in my current position of dogs body to a load of spotty faced degree heads that I tend to fall asleep around half seven in the evening just after my dinner, this stands me good as i usually have things to do after that and i end up more tired so the late movie on ITV etc is enough to put me out untill 6 the next morning when i feel fresh and alive and ready for another days work!!

I wonder how the TMs sleep at night :laughing: !!

Kev