Sleaford-Boston a17

On my risk assessment it’s saying don’t use the a17 between sleaford-Boston with a double decker due too low bridge ,the only bridge I can think of is heckington area ,now I can’t ever remember that bridge being marked up which I was under the impression would be a minimum of 16 ft 6 :question: ,but truckers atlas is saying 16 ft 3 .
If the height is correct at 16 3 can you cut through heckington ,is there a weight limit ,I just can’t remember ,if not it looks like a15 from sleaford down too a52 then into Boston that way .ta

That bridge was raised a few years ago, I drove on that section of A17 from 2008-2013 regularly and there were no low bridges indicated.

The alternative route via Heckington used to be signposted and they have also disappeared.

Just checked Google, definitely no height signs on bridge.

dozy:
On my risk assessment it’s saying don’t use the a17 between sleaford-Boston with a double decker due too low bridge ,the only bridge I can think of is heckington area ,now I can’t ever remember that bridge being marked up which I was under the impression would be a minimum of 16 ft 6 :question: ,but truckers atlas is saying 16 ft 3 .
If the height is correct at 16 3 can you cut through heckington ,is there a weight limit ,I just can’t remember ,if not it looks like a15 from sleaford down too a52 then into Boston that way .ta

I thought you had gone on flats dozy.

The bridge has been made higher. I go under with a 16ft 4in decker.

Just hit it, it’ll be fine, don’t worry…:smiley:

Dont forget, you can do 50MPH now, so get under it at that speed and youll be reet, as you will be going fast enough to make it out of the other side :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

B…

Depends which atlas you use. Case in point. I used the 100kg in weight (but a fine article in print non the less notwithstanding this bit) Phillips truckers when recently dabbling in haulage for a brief spell. The Atlas was a 2015 print, yet stated the Grantham A52 bridge was 3 inches lower than declared on road signs. As the Grantham A52 bridge is the most stuck bridge in Christendom I can surmise they were in discussion with authorities to print it as a lower height to fool those who would chance their arm. Bless them.

i checked my house on Google and there is a car in the drive that hasn’t been ther for over 5 years!
I think if you are using Google as a definative source of info…then perhaps you shouldn’t be driving trucks.

del949:

i checked my house on Google and there is a car in the drive that hasn’t been ther for over 5 years!
I think if you are using Google as a definative source of info…then perhaps you shouldn’t be driving trucks.

If you read the whole post you would see that I was simply confirming what I already knew.

In the early Truckers Atlas’s it wasn’t shown as a low bridge.

One final point, in 43 years of driving HGV’s I haven’t managed to hit a bridge yet.

and my point was simply that Google street shots are years out of date, and so have no relevance whatsoever to what is on the road now.
The height of the bridge/ road could easily have altered in the intervening years.

Rich The Stag:
The bridge has been made higher. I go under with a 16ft 4in decker.

Used to do it with 16’3" double deckers, nowadays it’s just 16’ ones I pull.

Ken.

seth 70:

dozy:

I thought you had gone on flats dozy.

We were meant too ,but the redundancy situation is still ongoing ,should of been done and dusted on the 16 th of this month ,but they’ve now put that back 2 weeks and hr have said it has too be sorted by the following week ,lots of drivers have had enough ,it’s a shambles ,so they’ve just told them we don’t want anything you’ve got too offer other than a redundancy cheque :cry: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,I was told I was going tramping on flats but at the moment I’ve no truck ,tri or start date ,so I just continue too do tesco work ,but those trucks are meant too go too donny and containers trucks up to ballborough so I’ll have no truck of any description too drive,so it could mean the flat work won’t happen and I’ll just get my redundancy as I requested :smiley: :smiley: ,

Thanks all,been under it this week with normal tri and confirms what I thought it has no height markings on it which in theory the 16 ft 3 d/d I should have hadwould of gone under ok ,but risk assessment ( tesco ) does say don’t use a17 from sleaford - Boston due too low bridge ,also map which is Philips truck map does show that bridge at 16 ft 3 ( can’t remember when I bought it but it does say first published in 2013) .

The 1999 version of Truckers Atlas didn’t show it as a low bridge but the three versions after, that I have, show it as 16’3".

Fincham:
The 1999 version of Truckers Atlas didn’t show it as a low bridge but the three versions after, that I have, show it as 16’3".

Yep that’s what my map saying 16 ft 3 ,but bridge isn’t marked up which unless I’m wrong indicates it’s a minimum of 16ft 6 clearance :confused: ,if I get a d/d I’ll just go down a15 from sleaford and pick up a52 into Boston