"slap-over" gearbox pains - C test on Monday

Hi all,

I have my Cat C test on Monday and I’m a bit concerned about the truck gearbox.

I’m quite a small lady and I find that the slap-over gearbox, namely the “slap” across to 5-6-7-8 can be really stiff and hard to do. Most of the time it’s ok and it just gives me terrible arm ache after an hour. But every so often, it gets stuck and requires a couple of really hard whacks to get it across.

Will the examiner mark me down for struggling with knocking it across to 5th? My instructor hasn’t really made an issue of it.

Thanks

Im struggling to contain my childish mind with your post Cupcake. There are so many open goals!

On a serious note,i drove a slap-over Iveco last year,and it has to be the most hideous,piece of metal I have ever encountered.

There aren’t many about in the employment world,so enjoy your test if poss and don’t worry about it. Good luck!!

cupcake1973:
Hi all,

I have my Cat C test on Monday and I’m a bit concerned about the truck gearbox.

I’m quite a small lady and I find that the slap-over gearbox, namely the “slap” across to 5-6-7-8 can be really stiff and hard to do. Most of the time it’s ok and it just gives me terrible arm ache after an hour. But every so often, it gets stuck and requires a couple of really hard whacks to get it across.

Will the examiner mark me down for struggling with knocking it across to 5th? My instructor hasn’t really made an issue of it.

Thanks

When “slapping it over” make sure you pull the gear stick over horizontally, the biggest problem is if you do it diagonally you wil struggle.

So do it slowly in 3 movements

1 from 4th to neutral
2 slap over horizontally
3 relax hand and feel for desired gear.

Hope this helps

Paul :smiley:

Thanks Paul, I’ll take that bit of advice with me on Monday :wink:

cupcake1973:
Thanks Paul, I’ll take that bit of advice with me on Monday :wink:

Please let me know if it helps :smiley:

What make is the truck? All the knock overs I’ve driven have been Mercs and they were actually a lot better than 4 over 4’s.

It’s a 2004 MAN - as in the pic

Training lorry.jpg

I found the same issue whilst learning…The first half hour was the worst, whilst the gear box " loosened up ". I found that actually slapping it with a cupped hand worked, also double’in the clutch worked wonders as well…good luck

toshtwentythree:
I found the same issue whilst learning…The first half hour was the worst, whilst the gear box " loosened up ". I found that actually slapping it with a cupped hand worked, also double’in the clutch worked wonders as well…good luck

I second that. Cup the hand and catch the end of the stick as you bring it across. Also, see if you can get an hour in before the test, this should loosen the box up. My car has a real notchy gearbox when its cold.

I used to run one of those - they’re ex forces. Paul at Elmet has one as well. Properly maintained, they are very easy to use. If it needs physical effort, provided you’re using it properly as Paul explained, there’s something wrong with it.
Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Will the examiner mark me down for struggling with knocking it across to 5th?

Yep that’s gonna be a minor :frowning:

Top markers for sticking with it, but I prefer the 4 over 4 boxes over them slap it ones… :smiley:
Lets hope that you don’t get marked down for many of them come Monday’s test lass but wishing you all the best, let us know how you get on…

I did my cat C in a slapover Mercedes - my arm and should ached for about a week afterwards. Pain is all in the mind, and all you can do is persevere sometimes. The test is only an hour or so, try to work through the pain and hope that your good looks and charm will persuade the examiner to turn a blind eye.

Most of it is luck on the day, and if you are generally competent with good driving skills it is less likely that the examiner will regard your gearbox troubles as a major fault - especially if it is evident that the truck has a maintenance issue.

especially if it is evident that the truck has a maintenance issue

Then the truck shouldn’t be in use if it has such an evident mechanical issue that requires maintenance, especially when people are paying good money to undertake training and a test…

I am not big ( 147cm tall & about 45kg )

I have driven a couple slap box’s without any problem mainly Iveco or Renault

As said cup hand round then move into 5th

( You must be bigger than me as your bike is bigger than mine I have a gpz 500 98 model took ages to find helmet as 4xS )

cupcake1973:
can be really stiff and hard to do. Most of the time it’s ok and it just gives me terrible arm ache after an hour. But every so often, it gets stuck and requires a couple of really hard whacks to get it across.

Right,theres no way in a million years that wording is accidental!
But on the bright side,if you fail the test just transfer wording like that to the adult side of the internet and you’ll make a fortune!.. :laughing:

Then the truck shouldn’t be in use if it has such an evident mechanical issue that requires maintenance, especially when people are paying good money to undertake training and a test…

Sadly, this is often the case. And the candidate has no way of knowing that this isn’t the norm until they eventually go to a decent trainer to get sorted out.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The-Snowman:

cupcake1973:
can be really stiff and hard to do. Most of the time it’s ok and it just gives me terrible arm ache after an hour. But every so often, it gets stuck and requires a couple of really hard whacks to get it across.

Right,theres no way in a million years that wording is accidental!
But on the bright side,if you fail the test just transfer wording like that to the adult side of the internet and you’ll make a fortune!.. :laughing:

Lol. I tried to rephrase it when I was writing it, but no matter what I put, it all sounded just as bad :laughing:

Thanks everyone for the advice. The gearbox is alright the majority of the time - it just gives me arm ache. It’s only once in a while, usually when crawling in a bit of traffic that I find the knock across is extra stiff. I have 2 hours pre-test to practice and get warmed up and if it happens on test, then I can live with one minor for it.

I’m not in that green truck - I’m in an identical blue one which has just been serviced. Ironically, the green one developed a gearbox problem on my 2nd day when my training buddy was driving it :neutral_face:

Well after all that, the gearbox was absolutely fine on my test this morning! And I passed with only 4 minors :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Congrats - and no need to worry after all!
Maybe it knew to behave itself today of all days :wink:

Jon

cupcake1973:
Well after all that, the gearbox was absolutely fine on my test this morning! And I passed with only 4 minors :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Excellent well done.

Paul :smiley: