Slam transport

Anyone works with or worked for them able to shed aby light? Spoke to a guy about dunfermline work sounded very easy money for what youe doing just looking to see is there a catch? Also self employed is it a risk?

You can’t ‘choose’ to be self-employed, and nor can the company engaging you declare you to be so. Your employment status is dictated by circumstances, as outlined by the HMRC.

HMRC’s view is that unless you run your own vehicle and/or can send another driver along in your place who you will pay yourself, you aren’t a self-employed truck driver. if you are being paid to sit in someone else’s truck and follow their instructions, then they are your employer unless you have been sent by an agency and are being paid by them to sit in the truck.

locateadriver.co.uk/news/hm … -employed/

So, it’s fake self-employment…with all the consequences which that entails…ie they will catch up with you, and when they do you will pay hand over fist.

My advice: walk away.

I’d have a quick search on the forum (box at top right) as there’s been quite a few posts about them especially the Amazon run they do. Seem to be an alright job, decently paid as long as you like tramping (for Amazon at least). Did think from the last post I saw they offered PAYE and SE, but might depend if it’s agency or direct.

On SE, I would be careful to ensure you pay all your taxes just like PAYE, don’t claim any expenses and ensure you do the accounting not a agency as that will make it much harder for HMRC to come after you later since you’re fully paid up. There’s a lot of problems with the whole SE thing for drivers, but that’s a whole different thread (or 20).

If you are working for one company all the time then you’re not self employed. In other words they should be employing you and they should be paying your taxes, national insurance & holiday pay.