Slam Transport

Advertising on Indeed. Saying 6 on 2 off for 40-50k a year. I know they do a lot for Amazon but anyone else got any info on them?

A mate left our place, did two months for them and then came back. He was based in Coventry and did a lot of Scotland trunking (Dunfermline perhaps?) Job involved trailer swaps with a lot of sitting around and strange start times. He said the kit was all good and they ran legal but his start times were all over the place.

Saw that yesterday. I see them at Amazon’s depots. Pay advertised is high. I wonder!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I know nothing of them…but, TBH, that’s the sort of wage hauliers SHOULD be paying if they want to attract and retain competent long-haul drivers.

All Amazon work, all trunking from rdc to rdc, Limited co only, (or it was when I was there), really stupid start times and you don’t get to know your start time for the next day until halfway through your rest, or sometimes you had to contact them after your 9 off to find out when you start, I lasted 6 months travelling down from Aberdeen and doing a fortnight away. You can make good money there but be prepared to max your card everyday legally.

GasGas:
I know nothing of them…but, TBH, that’s the sort of wage hauliers SHOULD be paying if they want to attract and retain competent long-haul drivers.

I agree but the question is exactly what do you need to do to earn that level of wage… what’s the deal behind the headline.

I seen two of them at Peterborough services earlier. If I’d have seen it earlier I’d have asked lol

Do they have a european arm aswel?

toonsy:
I seen two of them at Peterborough services earlier. If I’d have seen it earlier I’d have asked lol

That’s a surprise. Normally there are two of them parked nose-to-tail opposite a bus stop on a busy road nearby, causing chaos in the morning rush hour.

Money doesnt sound bad for short haul work. Odd start times will be a downside, probably ok for a single guy looking to drag in some wedge for a short period though…

They have trucks based 15 mins from were i live.Think they have used all the drivers that were available and the kit is ■■■■ basic small cab Mercedes actros.

Colin_scottish:
They have trucks based 15 mins from were i live.Think they have used all the drivers that were available and the kit is [zb] basic small cab Mercedes actros.

Thats just for the scottish drivers so they can remote download cards and head units, rest of the feet are ssc dafs and MANs 65 plate and above, when I was there last year they had 50 trucks and 80 drivers, think they are up about 180 trucks now

Concretejim:
Do they have a european arm aswel?

Yes but it’s run from Poland, I asked to do some european now and again for a change and got told “yes, but on Polish wages”, I didn’t bother.

AndrewG:
Money doesnt sound bad for short haul work. Odd start times will be a downside, probably ok for a single guy looking to drag in some wedge for a short period though…

You can make some serious money there when on the right shift pattern, I worked 6 days on 24 hrs off then another 6 days then had 3 or 4 days at home, always tried to get back down so as I could work both weekends on the enhanced rate. I was regularily invoicing them for between £1200 and £1500 a week with nights out.

Seen a lot of them at junction 9 trucksop swopping trailers/drivers,or just parked up always seem to be coming in and out

scottie0011:

Colin_scottish:
They have trucks based 15 mins from were i live.Think they have used all the drivers that were available and the kit is [zb] basic small cab Mercedes actros.

Thats just for the scottish drivers so they can remote download cards and head units, rest of the feet are ssc dafs and MANs 65 plate and above, when I was there last year they had 50 trucks and 80 drivers, think they are up about 180 trucks now

The drivers a spoke to about them did not have a good word to say about them.That could depend on were your running from.

Colin_scottish:

scottie0011:

Colin_scottish:

The drivers a spoke to about them did not have a good word to say about them.That could depend on were your running from.

They dont know whats coming next, as it is Amazon calling the shots…everything is go-go-go apparently, apart from the wait-wait-wait bits…very easy work, no messing @ the DCs…as the load is needed PDQ :wink:

If you want to earn the bucks, you got to get stuck in, no two ways about it i`m afraid :open_mouth:

I’ve chatted to three of their drivers recently, and two spoke quite highly of them. This is what I gathered:

It’s mostly tramping on Amazon work, apparently the office leave you alone and your next job is texted to you when you’re tipped, the money is good.

I don’t know whether one of the drivers was talking out of his arse, because he was one of those ones who liked to talk about his takehome pay before you even take your coffee from the vending machine and sit down, but he told me he’d had his worst week ever that week… £420 takehome for 2 days work. The other driver told me he was once parked in a layby for a boring 20 hours on his daily rest.

The one driver who didn’t speak highly of them told me he felt like he was in prison living in the lorry all the time, and that he was thinking of going back to Romania where he could earn more money on a building site. At the time I spoke to him he was running very short of time, and was going to reach his Coventry base bang on 15 hours.

Yeah looks like their drivers really look after the wagons!!