Does anyone here use this? I know that most of the services are widely avaliable via instant messenger programes, but if you use this, what are your experiences regarding making calls, and, are they any cheaper than calls made in other messenger programes… ?

TY

I have Skype loaded on my desktop PC and regularly speak to friends in UK and USA.

I find that the quality is far superior to the likes of Messenger etc and find that there is never any ‘voice lag’ when speaking. The webcam is a bit better than others I have tried but for me it is the quality of ‘voice’ that sets it apart.

As for call charges, outstanding if the other person is on the computer - it’s free!! Calls to a landline from PC are cheaper than anything we could find in UK but here in Germany there are other ‘same priced’ offers via normal telephone line.

The only negative thing I would say about it was that it was a right ‘pain in the arse’ to upload credit although if you have a Visa card it should be OK - we only have Maestro, Switch, etc but no Visa. I had to go via MoneyBookers (PayPal type of thing) to get the credit uploaded.

Overall score = 8 out of 10.

I wondered how secure the programe is and if you need to have a good understanding of your firewall in order to make it a secure connection when making calls.

I have quite a bit of ‘security’ running on my PC and have had no troubles. Zone Alarm asked me before it allowed the connection and from there on it’s fine.