OK question for the knowledgable, whats the catch with skype?
its often said that if its too good to be true it usually is, so?
install on home PC and truck laptop and free calls how does the company make any money and stay in business :confused: :confused:

I don’t use Skype myself but I believe they make there profit from national and international calls to landlines and mobiles.

As far as I know it’s only free for Skype to Skype calls.

tachograph:
I don’t use Skype myself but I believe they make there profit from national and international calls to landlines and mobiles.

As far as I know it’s only free for Skype to Skype calls.

Correct
I have a 3 phone with Skype on it which is great. My lads in Canada at the mo so he can call me when i would be working at night (day time there ) Free .

If more people had Skype phone you’d never pay for aother call

think i was just worried cos when i went to their homepage to download the software it also had two options for pay as you go or monthly contract, neither of which is free but i’ll give it a go and see what happens, thanks for the help

I use it, Skype to Skype calls are free, it works reasonably well although not as well from a dongle as compared to a fixed line.

I also use Skype and as much as it’s great having ‘Skype to Skype’ for free, I find that their Skype Out (calls to other phones) to be quite reasonable.

As mentioned above, if everyone was on Skype it would be perfect!

I use the chat option mostly with skype, privately and for business, use it for sending files even, if I have something to send to the person I am chatting with. I live in a different country to where my parents live and also were my work is, so I use it computer to computer to talk with someone, but have an account that I top up and call landlines in other countries, this works out a great cheap option, also use skype to send international SMS’s again very cheap, that can also be set up to show your nominated phone number, so anyone will see a text message as from you.

Looking at the homepage there seems to be a lot more you can do with it, never seen the catch to it yet, I just use whats useful to me and been happy with it for a few years now.

so do you get a phone number then? can people contact a skype phone from other networks?
sorry to ask just being cautious before installing

Generally you search for people by name, or from your PC contact list, there’s no problem with installing it, if you want to give it a go then pm me and I’ll PM you my real name, see if you can find me and give me a call this afternoon so you can work it all out.

Harry Monk:
Generally you search for people by name, or from your PC contact list, there’s no problem with installing it, if you want to give it a go then pm me and I’ll PM you my real name, see if you can find me and give me a call this afternoon so you can work it all out.

what, Harry Monk not your real name? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:
just installing it now but in sunbilla only got GPRS signal noy 3G so bit slow, will keep you all posted

You do tend to need a fairly good connection, it works fine from home but it not quite as good out on the road, but that is for a video call, would probably be fine without video, you can do either. Personally I think it’s very good, have been talking to my mate this morning on it, sorting out our lads’ holiday later in the year, much better than talking on the phone.

Believe it or not, that’s not my real pic either :wink:

Harry Monk:

Seriously :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Harry Monk:

Yeah, whatever!!! :wink:

No honestly, as anyone who knows me will tell you, I drink more and I’m not as well groomed :wink:

I use skype regular to video call with my dad who lives in usa, its a fantastic tool, would reccomend it.

I’m all skype’d up now :smiley: seems to be really good tool, can speak to my nipper before she goes to bed at night with video option.
if anyone’s interested in adding me as contact same as user name

The clever thing about Skype is you set any country as your home country so when you call family it is a local call, say you set uk as your home country even when you are in Spain you call uk as a local call. I have family in Central America (Belize) so that is my home country when I want to call them, I set it as UK when I want to call home from Europe, then it has my mobile for texts, very clever indeed.
I spend about £10 every 6 months on calls to land lines.

marcustandy:

Harry Monk:

That has really upset Ms Wheel Nut. She has always been fond of Harrys posts. I think he is her favourite on TNUK

Wheel Nut:

marcustandy:

Harry Monk:

That has really upset Ms Wheel Nut. She has always been fond of Harrys posts. I think he is her favourite on TNUK

I think this is an old picture of Harry when he was a youngster

:open_mouth: :laughing: