Skipton engine shed lane access

Hi, i have an artic drop at Skipton on Wednesday on Engine shed lane. Checking maps and google nearly every way is blocked by low bridges or impossible turns. Any advice welcome

Can you not go via Broughton Road then Charlton new road then (edit, right) to engine shed road?

Yeah, in on Broughton rd, can drop down from the A59, or if coming in from Keighley/Bradford you can get in via town centre, tuning left at main set of lights onto broughton rd.

We go in with an urban trailer. Nowhere to really turn around, but there’s a builders merchants right at the end. He’s always let me spin around in their yard if you pop in and ask beforehand. Can be tight with the urban though, sometimes have to take a couple of shunts to get turned.

(if you’re over 14’9")
Don’t know if there’s another /better way but…
My Aponia Satnav App (set to 15’ 3"), Suggests; you have to come in from the south, from Carleton on the Carleton new road, Carleton road, Limehouse lane (working backwards) Carla Beck Lane, … Skipton Old road from Colne, A6068, M65.
google maps goes that way from Colne…
google.com/maps/dir/Colne/E … 572958!3e0

Drift:
Can you not go via Broughton Road then Charlton new road then (edit, right) to engine shed road?

I have been told the 180 degree turn is just about impossible.
I would be coming up from bradford running at about 15’. It looks like a detour and come in from Colne side is the best option. I have asked another lad who has done the run and he just shakes his head although he likes a wind up

no1dieselman:

Drift:

I have been told the 180 degree turn is just about impossible.
I would be coming up from bradford running at about 15’. It looks like a detour and come in from Colne side is the best option. I have asked another lad who has done the run and he just shakes his head although he likes a wind up

We go in with a fridge on, so get under the bridge heading into the town centre from Bradford. I think it’s 14 something? If you have a look on google maps, the 180 turn you talk about is quite wide, and you can get a good wide swing at it. We have no probs, but like I said earlier that’s with an urban on.

Is the high street a 7.5t limit? If not you could come from that side whilst still avoiding the low bridge.

Edit: just looked myself and it is a 7.5 ton limit.

I recon you’d make that 180 degree turn if you use every bit of road available. Failing that you could go past and reverse into Morrison’s goods in to spin round, or come down the lanes through Carleton like another poster has said. I think the 180 is doable though and there’s businesses on engine shed lane that look they have artics there all the time.

Looks like a bloody stupid place for an industrial estate to be honest with no decent access for those vehicles that carry goods…oh lorries. But there we go, it is where it is.

Skipton is a bugger. Have only done it in 7.5 & 18 tonne rigid. The High Street (market place) is 7.5 t except for access. Roundabout at top by the castle is fine but the one at the bottom is very tight. Regularly used by artics although not great on market days.
Coming in that way from Gargrave road makes access onto Carleton New Rd from Broughton Road easier. Otherwise you have to come down Broughton Road from A59 and then screw round opposite the railway station (or at Morrison’s) as suggested by someone else). Your two 90 degree turns onto Engine Shed Lane are then very tight.
What height and length are you running at? (Edit- just seen that you are 15’ so those are your options without going into Colne)
Northern Paper at the end of Engine Shed Lane are supplied by Joda Frieght (of Keighley) You can see their trailers on google maps. Try them for advice.

Got here at 5am to miss the traffic. Came down fron a59 but couldnt make the 180 turn. Had to go into Skipton and find a place to turn round. Once you manage that the bridge over the railway line is tight and was met with a mini rush hour and nobody would back up. Repeat on the way out. It has aged me 10 years. Bloody rediculous access

no1dieselman:
Got here at 5am to miss the traffic. Came down fron a59 but couldnt make the 180 turn. Had to go into Skipton and find a place to turn round. Once you manage that the bridge over the railway line is tight and was met with a mini rush hour and nobody would back up. Repeat on the way out. It has aged me 10 years. Bloody rediculous access

We used to do John Davidson Pipes which is just off Engine Shed Lane on a little Lane called The Sidings. As you go over the bridge to turn right down Engine Shed Lane you see it right at the top of the dead end :unamused:
So it was a tight right turn off Engine Shed Lane then being unable to turn right again (in an artic) because the rancid sour faced cow who worked at Sidings Fuel at the bottom would purposely park her Green transit van so you couldn’t get round then when you asked her to shift She would just start shouting and swearing at you :unamused: Once in JDP it was air lines and suzzies off and a jackknife turn to get out. The only way I could access it due to having a 15 foot trailer was to go up the A59 then come into the town centre down the A6131 and through the market if it was market day which made it a right pain in the arse.
What makes me laugh if coming from Bradford/Keighley there is the sign for Engine Shed Lane for goods vehicles telling you to turn off but it doesn’t say what height vehicles are ok to use that route.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

no1dieselman:

We used to do John Davidson Pipes which is just off Engine Shed Lane on a little Lane called The Sidings. As you go over the bridge to turn right down Engine Shed Lane you see it right at the top of the dead end :unamused:
So it was a tight right turn off Engine Shed Lane then being unable to turn right again (in an artic) because the rancid sour faced cow who worked at Sidings Fuel at the bottom would purposely park her Green transit van so you couldn’t get round then when you asked her to shift She would just start shouting and swearing at you :unamused: Once in JDP it was air lines and suzzies off and a jackknife turn to get out. The only way I could access it due to having a 15 foot trailer was to go up the A59 then come into the town centre down the A6131 and through the market if it was market day which made it a right pain in the arse.
What makes me laugh if coming from Bradford/Keighley there is the sign for Engine Shed Lane for goods vehicles telling you to turn off but it doesn’t say what height vehicles are ok to use that route.

That JDP is the yard that let us spin it around after we’ve tipped couple of units up from them. Terrible industrial estate

no1dieselman:

Where do you turn round in Skipton? Did you have to go in the 7.5t limit for that?

Oh and was that 180 just physically impossible in a full size artic or was it just not doable at the time because of where cars were parked or something like that?

I went down Keighley road and turned round in what looked like a bus station.
I might have made the turn if it was completely clear with a couple of shunts but reversing blind onto a very busy road soon lost its appeal. Bloody car drivers up on pavements getting round you when you are manoeuvring dont help.