Skipper Recruit - Norwich

Has anybody had any experience with this new agency?

It seems to be a relatively new start up but they appear to have some good work. I’ve always been PAYE but thinking of going to an agency. Skipper Recruit ask if you’re Ltd, Self Employed or Umbrella. No mention of PAYE.

I’ve never really taken much notice of these variations, as I say I’ve always been PAYE, but can someone explain - in simple terms for my simple mind - what the difference is between these three different pay deals?

Thanks guys.

EastAnglianTrucker:
Has anybody had any experience with this new agency?

It seems to be a relatively new start up but they appear to have some good work. I’ve always been PAYE but thinking of going to an agency. Skipper Recruit ask if you’re Ltd, Self Employed or Umbrella. No mention of PAYE.

I’ve never really taken much notice of these variations, as I say I’ve always been PAYE, but can someone explain - in simple terms for my simple mind - what the difference is between these three different pay deals?

Thanks guys.

Unless you’re well versed in tax law, and since you’re asking for a simple explanation, you aren’t, assume you are a PAYE employee.
Get involved in anything else ONLY if you really understand all the ins outs and pitfalls. Don’t be tempted by top line figures that look good at first glance.

Any new agency not offering PAYE would set alarm bells ringing for me. It would suggest they are either seriously out of touch or are setting out to scam you with an umbrella scheme for which they are no doubt on a commission.

PAYE - they do your tax, you get holiday pay, SSP etc. All above board.

Umbrella - you pay them to do your tax in a rather iffy way to try to avoid paying as much. If HMRC decide its not allowed in future, you get the bill. Most don’t include holiday pay or SSP.

LTD - tax get-around which will result in huge tax bill later unless you meet very specific criteria like pretty much own the truck. Or you can leave the country like so many have. Many companies now won’t touch you. No SSP or holiday pay, you need an accountant ideally and you pay the 2x NI and income tax.

Self employed - essential same problems as Ltd. for most people as you are effectively working for and under direction of the agency.

No PAYE = no drivers.

trevHCS:
Any new agency not offering PAYE would set alarm bells ringing for me. It would suggest they are either seriously out of touch or are setting out to scam you with an umbrella scheme for which they are no doubt on a commission.

Umbrella - you pay them to do your tax in a rather iffy way to try to avoid paying as much. If HMRC decide its not allowed in future, you get the bill. Most don’t include holiday pay or SSP.

LTD - tax get-around which will result in huge tax bill later unless you meet very specific criteria like pretty much own the truck. Or you can leave the country like so many have. Many companies now won’t touch you. No SSP or holiday pay, you need an accountant ideally and you pay the 2x NI and income tax.

Self employed - essential same problems as Ltd. for most people as you are effectively working for and under direction of the agency.

No PAYE = no drivers.

My mate has just left a full time job to chase the £££ on agency. He told me he gets a slightly enhanced rate but his holiday pay is rolled into that. In other words when he goes to Blackpool for 2 weeks he doesnt get a wage as he has already had it.
How do you work out the correct hourly pay increase to cover the holiday pay?
Is this the latest scam?

trevHCS:

No PAYE = no drivers.

Thanks Trev, that’s what I was looking for!

Hi E.A.T.

Danny Skipper and Charlie Skipper are brothers I think. They both used to be at ARC Norwich and then one split off to form Skipper recruit.

ARC pay rates are rubbish, don`t know about Skipper Recruit ■■

Msgyorkie is correct. A few agencies are now advertising PAYE but when you talk to them they are offering " PAYE with rolled up holiday pay " i.e. no paid holiday entitlement. You would have to check about ssp and pension contributions ■■

There are 253 work days in 2021
There are 8 bank holidays in 2021

So just work out the gross PAYE rolled up annual equivalent they are offering minus say 20 days paid holiday and 8 days paid bank holidays to see if it really is an advantageous rate ■■?

msgyorkie:
Is this the latest scam?

More than likely but they aren’t supposed to do that anymore. Can guarantee if they doing it that way, it’ll be worked to agency advantage.

gov.uk/holiday-entitlement- … the-basics

dodged600:
Hi E.A.T.

Danny Skipper and Charlie Skipper are brothers I think. They both used to be at ARC Norwich and then one split off to form Skipper recruit.

ARC pay rates are rubbish, don`t know about Skipper Recruit ■■

Msgyorkie is correct. A few agencies are now advertising PAYE but when you talk to them they are offering " PAYE with rolled up holiday pay " i.e. no paid holiday entitlement. You would have to check about ssp and pension contributions ■■

There are 253 work days in 2021
There are 8 bank holidays in 2021

So just work out the gross PAYE rolled up annual equivalent they are offering minus say 20 days paid holiday and 8 days paid bank holidays to see if it really is an advantageous rate ■■?

Thanks for the heads up dodged600!