Skip Lorries

Hiya

Since passing my C last sept I have struggled to find any permanent positions around my area until now

I have been offered a job driving skip lorries which I have accepted and start a week on Monday.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks that would help me when I start.

I know I am going to be going out with one of the experienced drivers for a few days before being sent out by myself but any advise in advance would be great

Skips can be a good way to get experience. They can be chain loaded or hook loaded.

If the load is heavy and there are counter support legs, use them.

When you come to tip make sure the tipping locks are engaged and make sure they are down if you are dropping off an empty skip.

Watch height if you are tipping a hooked skip. They are likely to catch telephone or electric lines.

Make sure you sheet any loads that are likely to blow around. The ministry will throw the book at you if your load is not secured with a sheet.

Good luck with the new job.

1. Never trust a builder banking you in.
  2. Roll your net up neatly and roll it from the back of your truck when netting.
  3. Do your checks properly, vosa pull over skip lorries often.
  4. Never use extending arms to place a skip that you know is going to be really heavy picking up.
  5. Keep mirrors and windows super clean, you are going to need them.
  6. Do not feel pressured to pick up a overloaded skip its your license.
  7. Check your double wheel for debris stuck in between when leaving sites.
  8. Don’t blindly follow a sat nav down country lanes, use google maps in the office to check access if your not sure.
  9. Do not try and pet the cats at landfill sites.
  10. Ask a fellow driver how to piggy back skips it will save you loads of time.

Thats all i can think of for now lol.

hogpot:

2. Roll your net up neatly and roll it from the back of your truck when netting.
  4. Never use extending arms to place a skip that you know is going to be really heavy picking up.
  8. Don’t blindly follow a sat nav down country lanes, use google maps in the office to check access if your not sure.

Exactly as that man said. Especially #7.

Normally, a builders ton weighs 40% more than a weighed ton - if you get my drift.

Enjoy

thanks guys

them lists give me a great starting point to go from

I cant wait to start

You can do quite well for your self on skips.Keep your eyes open as you can sell all sorts on ebay.When I was on skips I found a brand new instant shower still boxed in my skip.During your working day you will be meeting some " light fingered friends"so your private property gets stowed in a locker away from prying eyes.Lots of good advice in the earlier posts.

:smiley: always have a good selection of wooden blocks to put under jack legs,ie soft ground, posh paved drives easily damaged if no blocks are used when lifting heavy skips,also handy to separate skips when putting one in another never use bricks they will shatter,oh and get a scaffold pole with a flat end about 4ft this helps to prise skips apart when they get jammed together keep the bottom one a few inches off the ground this will always occur around 6.30 am when everyones still asleep :blush: specially if the skips are bent and twisted like ours,and last point when you start lifting raise the skip just off the ground and walk around to check all the chains are all snug on the lugs, the last thing you want is a chain slipping off a lug mid lift and a swinging 8 tonne skip ■■■■■■■■ the garage/car it was sitting next to,its easier to do this than explain to the said owner of the car/garage ,hope this helps these are some of main things i tell newbe skipdrivers,then when you get on hooklifts well thats another story :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

hogpot:

I just love 9. :laughing: