skip driving

:sunglasses: i was wondering how easy or hard it is to learn the basics of skip driving i.e the lifting an dropping etc, would somebody show you an thats it? or is their some sort of training like for a hiab?

Piece of ā– ā– ā– ā– . Just hook your chains up to the lugs on the skip and operate the lever and away you go. To tip them you unhook 2 of your chains and then operate the lever to send it backwards and the edge of the skip stops on the lip of the truck and lifts the skip up vertically which then empties it.

Just make sure you drop your stabilizers down if itā€™s a heavy one otherwise the skip will stay where it is and the front of the truck will lift off the ground instead :open_mouth: and watch your weights too. Make sure you always net the skip too if itā€™s full. :angry:

Itā€™s an arse-chasing job and the trucks are usually ā– ā– ā– ā–  heaps and the pay is usually crap too. Youā€™ll also have to get into some real tricky positions to collect and drop off the skips. Watch over for overhead cables and power lines too with the jib :bulb: :bulb: :open_mouth: .

donpablo:
or is their some sort of training like for a hiab?

Iā€™d echo Rob Kā€™s comments and add that thereā€™s no ā€œofficialā€ training needed for a skip truck. :smiley:
If you go on to get a job driving a skip truck, the firm ought to show you how they want you to operate their equipment safely and without causing damage. Thatā€™s in their interests as well as yours. :smiley:

:slight_smile: ok thanks, i was thinking of getting some weekend part time work with a local scrap recycling and skip firm , they have quite a few trucks an they didnt look bad 05 plate the oldest! scanias, never driven a scania either. i will see what they offer me.

Gibbs?

They look pretty tidy motors. Scrap metal bins are not as frantic as doing domestic waste. Youā€™ll probably end up going further and doing less bins.

Itā€™s a two minute job to learn the lifting and tipping procedure and slightly longer to master it. Scrap can be heavy, a 12 yard skip full of car batteries weighs about 12t. I had 2x 12yd bins (about 1/3rd full) of railway line on an 8 wheeler (it was 37.5t)

On the eight leggers you can carry two stacks of bins, one at the front and one on the back.

The proper way to push the bin forward is to leave it on the back and use the next bin to push it forwards. To get it to the back you connect the chains to one end and drag it back. Thatā€™s a bit of a drag though so the easy way is to charge across the yard and hit the brakes (but donā€™t completely stop) Half the time. Do the same in reverse to move it backwards (but donā€™t forget to raise the trip hooks)

Diary & pics here