Skip driving?

Hi guys. New to the forum and just looking for a bit of advise. I’m in the process of doing my Cat C. I currently do drainage and have been doing it for 13 years. Can’t stand the job anymore and need a change. I’m only 34 but my back is knackered from digging all day every day. I’m interested in getting into Skip driving. I have a friend who does it and says he loves it but I just wanted to hear what others thought about the job. Is it true a lot of companies will take on new drivers? What sort of pay should I expect? Do you enjoy or did you enjoy the job when you did it? Any drivers or former skip drivers on here that could offer any advise would be much appreciated.

Oxford skip firms apparently pay £10/hour, although some only do 8 hour days.

wait for it…

si-d:
wait for it…

to the OP…

there are those on here that view “day cabs”, especially skips, then tippers, etc… as anything but professional. shame really that such nice people can be soo short sighted.

I happen to run 5 skip lorries; if the drivers were anything but professional they would be down the road. Simple. Likewise, any guys that have driven units both locally and internationally for me, that have been anything less than professional, are given the boot pretty quickly.

The industry does take a lot of flack; the way I see it is because when a skip truck or tipper is involved in an RTA it generally hits the headline news. When “professional” artic drivers and their trollies are involved in RTA’s it’s usually on a motorway and gets lost in the “M4 shut because of truck incident” as opposed to in London today “skip lorry hit’s car”. Would be interesting to see statistics of vehicles involved in RTA’s and how many occur under the belt of “professional driver”…

depending on where in the country would assume 6.30am /7am til 5pm - expect to earn in region of £120.00 per day

talk of bonus per bin - as far as I’m aware… complete cattlesh1te.

any questions, PM me…

Suprised nobody has mentioned Iveco
yet.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdVTCDdEwI

I’ve worked in the waste industury most of the last 15 years started on skips now do bulkers but still do a bit of skip and roll on work.
It’s not bad the hours are fairly set and you can plan a life round it.
I guess it depends on area but where I am the money seems to be as much as the container and general firms pay for class 1 tramping

if you want local work it’s a good job providing your equipment is in good working order ,

scrotumscratcher:
if you want local work it’s a good job providing your equipment is in good working order ,

I got a good sturdy stick to wedge between seat and accelerator to give enough oil pressure to lift the skip back on.

Bluey Circles:

scrotumscratcher:

I got a good sturdy stick to wedge between seat and accelerator to give enough oil pressure to lift the skip back on.

LOL. :laughing:
To the OP, I was just messin mate, couldn’t resist!
If its got wheels and pays the bills who gives a monkeys what it is.
Good luck.

Why didn’t you just ask your mate? His view must better than a load of strangers on a message board.

Its a good job imo You will have to think on your feet.There have been posts on the forum before so look those up.When people divorce she chucks his golf clubs and he bins her sewing machine you come along you have an ebay account havent you? :slight_smile:

I’m guessing everyone must be busy… not a dodgy response in sight…

Not everyone, I’m still here and doin nowt but never done skips, not even with a rope so cannot comment :slight_smile:

si-d:
depending on where in the country would assume 6.30am /7am til 5pm - expect to earn in region of £120.00 per day

Is that class 1 or class 2 out of interest?

I’m in the same position as Westyjnr, but in my current job I deal with skip drivers an awful lot and I do think they get an extremely bad rep vs what they’re actually like. Most are really helpful although some do seem to be rather over worked. One guy was complaining that for a residential size skip he was only making £8/hour in Nottingham even though the load was ADR (asbestos).

Looked at one guys sheet and it makes standard multi-drop look like a right doddle! It seems however if you’re doing roll on / roll off type skips the pressure is a little less purely based on talking to drivers, albeit the skip dropoff point can be 100 miles away. Maybe that’s the problem in London especially, lots of building projects and too many skip companies trying to push their drivers into unrealistic times especially considering the traffic chaos.

Btw Westyjnr - one issue is roping as if you get say a 20 foot open topped skip and the auto-sheeter is broken, you might have to fit the tarpaulin yourself and they weigh a blinking ton. ADR loads generally get around this…usually.

joe royal:
Why didn’t you just ask your mate? His view must better than a load of strangers on a message board.

Because his mate has only got the one opinion whereas on a forum?got it yet??