Skills for Logistics

‘Certificate to Work for LGV Drivers’…my 18y.o. lad wants to get into lorry driving :frowning: yes,i know,but me and both his grandads have made a living out of it…but anyway,i asked my gaffer if he could come out with me for a bit of expierience.instead of that he said,take this leaflet home and consider joining this scheme,which is to get youngsters on the ladder to getting a Class 1.not got around to trawling through it yet,but has anyone else come across this scheme before?

Yeah there was an article about it in t&d as well as trucking a out a year or so ago google it

I did my class 1 but not through young drivers scheme and like your lad it was always going to happen I have 3 uncles that drive trucks great grandad grandad and my dad all drive or drive

Itll be a ‘driving vehicle goods’ apprenticeship that he’ll be put through as the young driver scheme got scrapped when the dcpc came along (or i think that’s when if someone wants to correct me feel free :smiley:) basically he gets put through his cat C then c&e if that’s what he’ll be driving and will have to be observed doing his job from time to time. And if hes 18 it wont cost anyone anything but the employer gets £1500 for putting the lad through an apprenticeship:)

at least that’s what im led to believe happens :slight_smile:. Hope this helps!

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Real problem with those young drivers schemes, apprenticeships or whatever terminology they use nowadays, is getting a job afterwards. Or to be more precise, find an insurer that is prepared to accept the risk of a young driver with a heavy commercial vehicle. Many employers used to specify ‘over 25 for insurance purposes’, for that very reason.

cheers lads :slight_smile: just read all the bumf.,and first of all he has to go 2 years on his car license with out getting any points.so,17 months and counting!

Ask him two questions, does he speak any east european languages or/and is he prepared to work for £6.50 an hour ? If the answer to either is Yes he stands a good chance imho !! :frowning:

no,and no raymundo! i’m sure he’ll find something better than 6.50ph :slight_smile: