Skelly trailers

What’s the difference between a 12 lock and a 14 lock skelly? From looking at them as I’m driving along it seems like it’s two extra twistlocks right at the front of the trailer but I’ve yet to see them being used ever, so what are they for?

Ta,
Paul

I own two 14 lock sliders, and as far as I can see the front two twist locks are for 45ft boxes, which I have never had on, so I’m only assuming this is correct. Therefore a 12 lock would be incapable of carrying a 45ft box.
(stands back and waits to be corrected. :laughing: )

wrong tramper, 12 lock skellys can carry 45ft boxes, 14 lock skellys just brings the 45 ft boxes to better lenght, you can also run 40 ft boxes on front pin “14 lock trl” and trl shut up to 45ft position aswell,

There you go, I knew someone would know better than me, I stand corrected :laughing:

So Globby, do you know why 14 lock as apposed to 12?

Well that answers one question but has made several more!

Do I take it then that 40 and 45 foot boxes have different lengths between the twistlocks? I had assumed that they were the same but perhaps not? Does that mean that slider skellys will have a couple of settings only a few inches apart to cope with the different boxes?

TIA,
Paul

the front 2 pins are for 40ft boxes in postion 3 and the rear 2 front pins are for 45 ft boxes this is to allow turning space behind the cab

that’s how its supposed to work but most drivers just use the back pins

glad i didnt have to answer that lol

So 40 and 45 foot boxes have the pins the same distance apart, the extra set of locks (combined with two different positions on the slider) just give you a choice of two places to put them. Is that right?

Ta,
Paul

rep it would be easier to show you rather than explain it ill try some pics at the weekend and see if I can get hold of a manual for a trailer but yes the pins that are used are the same as a 40ft

A 40’ box & a 45’box do have a set of twist lock holes with same spacing.

On the 45’ box it is the inner (4 twistlock holes each side) holes that line up with the 40’ position.

The reason there are 2 positions for the pins is when you are carrying a 45’ box you shorten the slider slightly so the box comes within the turning circle regs.

You can run with a normal 40’ box in this position & (on the Dennison I owned at least) it is also the running position for a loaded 20’.

I think most people who run fully extended are of your typical box drivers attitude ie they work on the principal of expelling the least amount of energy as possible (that was my philosophy when I was doing it :wink:) So when the trailer hits the bump stops thats where they leave it instead going through the extra work of lining it up on the next set of holes back.

I think most people who run fully extended are of your typical box drivers attitude ie they work on the principal of expelling the least amount of energy as possible (that was my philosophy when I was doing it ) So when the trailer hits the bump stops thats where they leave it instead going through the extra work of lining it up on the next set of holes back.

:laughing: :laughing: thats why i didnt know what them locks were for!

:blush: Me too!

You mean the trailer can slide!!! :blush: :blush: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: Sounds like hard work to me, new there was a reason I will only carry 40’ boxes. :wink:

oh yes, they slide and all sorts, ive done it meself, :laughing: theres no end to it, i’ll stick with a yankee gooseneck and do lightweight 40’s, thanks! (better head down potential) :wink:

:confused: I’m sure I’ve seen Skellies where they are designed better (longer rear arms) and there was no need or pin holes to slide them for 20’s or 40’s. This was a brand new one seen less than a year ago, I remeber the chassis was painted a sort of charcoal colour, but don’t know the makers name.
Now in this day and age of so-called health and safety, the last thing that should happen is for the driver to have to keep getting up on the back and messing around with susies.( I know there are the button types too)

Montralock was good, I loved them. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :wink: