Skelly fitted with pumping equipment

Hi all

saw one of these on the m62 today, was carrying a normal container on but had hoses strapped to the side of the body and had pumping equipment, like what you see on petrol tanker on the back of the skelly but it was all built in the underneath of trailer.

never noticed these before, it was the hoses that caught my attention, are these skellys used to carry those loads what are in a cyclinder but is surrounded by a rectangle metal frame?

cheers all

greg.

Yes a iso tank/lift tank

could have been an interbulk lorry. was it a red box by any chance. best job in the world. it should be re-named laid back logistics. and no rdc’s!

groovy greg:
Hi all

saw one of these on the m62 today, was carrying a normal container on but had hoses strapped to the side of the body and had pumping equipment, like what you see on petrol tanker on the back of the skelly but it was all built in the underneath of trailer.

never noticed these before, it was the hoses that caught my attention, are these skellys used to carry those loads what are in a cyclinder but is surrounded by a rectangle metal frame?

cheers all

greg.

It sounds like a bag in a box to me, the next time you are following one, look at the rear doors. They are full width at the bottom, certainly on IBC Interbulk boxes because my mate designed them like that. Previously the letter box was at the other end, but it cost the price of an empty lift to turn it round and bag it.

How can hoses be used on an interbulk tipper…just a thought…i would imagine the hoses and pump gear you saw were for container tanks…but that day the driver was pulling a normal box and didnt need hoses.
The hoses are used mainly for liquids within the food industry,such as juices or oil, but can be used also for other substances like sugar and flour etc…depending where the contents are to be tipped.

I think what you’re referring to is like a powder tanker but obviosly in a container instead. Locally to me they are operated by Mark Doel Transport, and the containers are owned by UBC. I think it’s some kind of adhesive component that is carried.

truckyboy:
How can hoses be used on an interbulk tipper…just a thought…i would imagine the hoses and pump gear you saw were for container tanks…but that day the driver was pulling a normal box and didnt need hoses.
The hoses are used mainly for liquids within the food industry,such as juices or oil, but can be used also for other substances like sugar and flour etc…depending where the contents are to be tipped.

Interbulk which used to be IBC/UBC formerly International Ferry Freight have carried rice, starch, salt, sugar, grain, flour, animal feed in bulk for years, as well as PET and Polythene granules. and they do tip them through hoses just like a liquid tank Bob.

One advantage is that they can carry more weight than a pressure tanker and are easier and cheaper to ship by train, ferry, barge or road. Another advantage is that they can be left stacked on a quayside loaded until they are called off by the consignor. the third advantage is that there are no cleaning costs, just rip the old liner out and fit a new one.

The only real advantage they have is the only one which matters; they are cheaper on international traffic compared to a driver accompanied silo, although because of the multiple handling and the involvement of railways, transit times are usually much slower. Even with the reduced payload they still work out considerably cheaper. The negatives are that there is a higher risk of contamination, and also of spillage of product at the discharge point, but since the product is never hazardous this is resolved by means of a brush and shovel.

The cost difference between a liner and a tank wash is only around £20, so not a massive issue, and where Wheel Nut gets the idea that they can carry more weight than a silo is beyond me, a modern 60m3 silo tank is about 6700kg unladen, whereas a tipping skelly with an empty 30’ box is closer to 9000kg. The cost savings really kick in when the delivery point cannot accept delivery, usually due to a break down. With a bag-in-the-box, they leave it in the container base at a relatively small daily storage cost, if its in a tank the customer pays an hourly demurrage rate until they can accept delivery, sometimes for several days.

acd1202:
The cost difference between a liner and a tank wash is only around £20, so not a massive issue, and where Wheel Nut gets the idea that they can carry more weight than a silo is beyond me, a modern 60m3 silo tank is about 6700kg unladen, whereas a tipping skelly with an empty 30’ box is closer to 9000kg.

You are getting the idea, they are cheaper. There shouldnt be any contamination if the containers are serviced and checked properly before use. The product should stay inside the bag, and thus straight into the rotary seal. There should also be no spillage of product either from a liquid tank or a dry bulk delivery of any kind, although I have seen it happen in all methods.

As for the weight, the Interbulk box weighs 2925kg, load that box onto a lightweight standard skelly and on the UK roads it can travel with a payload in excess of 30 tonne.

Many of our customers had a land based blower, a hydrapac and a rotary valve on wheels. Even if the trailer has an electric tipping ram it doesn’t come close to a pressure tanker.

The designs are not new, but they have improved a lot. :stuck_out_tongue:

As a pup I used to drive around with a Nissan pick up towing a blower with all the tipping equipment built in and drivers would run containers out to Doncaster and Bawtry for me to unload.

Another advantage with the bag in box system is that you can carry 26 pallets as a return load, can you? :laughing: