Six Weeks/ Digital tacho?

Looking at doing a Spanish job, it would suit us best to find a driver willing to do six weeks then a week off, thinking of a newish unit with digi tacho, these bloody things scare me, can hardly switch this laptop on, if the driver card has to be downloaded every 28 days how are 6wks out drivers doing this, surely there is a way, any of you got experience of this or got any advice?

Thanking you in advance for your words of wisdom…

vdoshop.co.uk/acatalog/training_courses.html

You need the download key and mobile card reader if it’s a siemens tacho.

Or if you are posh:

dtco.vdo.com/products-solutions/ … reless.htm

optac.info/uk/shop/product.a … d=9939-012

If it’s a Stoneridge tacho.

You will need to subscribe to computer analysis software for either product.

Thanks,

It seems the driver could take the wireless download thing with him, not sure what tacho would be fitted, looking at a finance repo 56 plate Daf 105, may just hire one to try out the job/driver…

Thanks again…

LRM:
Thanks,

It seems the driver could take the wireless download thing with him, not sure what tacho would be fitted, looking at a finance repo 56 plate Daf 105, may just hire one to try out the job/driver…

Thanks again…

What kind of work you planning on lrm? Not many guys want to stay away 6 days now never mind 6 weeks :exclamation: :unamused:

not wanting to hijack this thread but… if you are supposed to keep records of your previous 28 days at work what happens after you have downloaded your driver card and then you get a roadside check on the next day? surely your card will be empty so what records do you have to show? go easy on me this is all new still :smiley:

chaversdad:
if you are supposed to keep records of your previous 28 days at work what happens after you have downloaded your driver card and then you get a roadside check on the next day? surely your card will be empty so what records do you have to show?

Downloading your card only copies the data, it doesn’t delete it off the card. The data is only deleted when the card is full, which for most people will be well over 100 shifts, if not several hundred.

Paul

You can leave the downloading for up to 56 days quite legally. Otherwise just get an away from home kit with two memory sticks. he can download it from the cab, then post the memory stick to you.

If you want someone for that sort of work, let me know, my brother would do six weeks away. my other brother has a place near Valencia, and so does my mum. so it wouldn’t be a problem.

let me know what sort of work it is. and of course how much you will pay.

It does seem unusual though, to need someone on a Spanish job for six weeks.

cheers, phil.

The driver card must be downloaded within 28 days and the VU done within 56 days.

A driver card may start to overwrite after 28 days and as records have to be kept for 12 months you would be prosecuted for not keeping records.

You don’t really need the wireless thing and it is probably expensive. The card download tool is enough and if he copies his card to it every week say, the tool holds shed loads of data so he can just give it to you for downloading when he gets back. You then just have to download the tacho head unit data each time he gets back as well for which you will need a company card to access this from the same place you get a driver card.

cheers paul, i thought there would be a simple explanation, i,m gradually getting the hang of all this modern technology

Roadside checks OK as the officer can use his own card to interrogate the vehicle unit. As said previously, this has to be downloaded at 56 days. But if the driver is away for more than that (I know the enquiry was only for 6 weeks but I do enjoy a ramble!) he could, maybe, take the company card and download tool with him. Job done.

there are a couple of truckstops in spain with machines like cashpoints where the driver can download his card and send the details by email you just need to set up an account. let me know if you need any help or advice quite willing to help if i can.
6 weeks away? don’t think there’s many british guys left now that will do that :frowning:
are you going to do 6 weeks just in spain if so pm me and can tell you where facilities are for downloading and safest parking

Hi, thanks to all who replied to this question, i like the idea of just needing the download tool, i dont want to get too technical, all this download malarky is for my other half to deal with as she has the brains and i have the looks! the reason for the six weeks is cos im on the east coast and the outbound work is from the north, so to see the lorry every six weeks for inspection seems sensible to me.

Also thanks to all who asked about job, may well be in touch, only thing is “nice unit, 120% legal, handsome gaffer, surely £475 all in is perfectly acceptable!!”…

once again, thanks for all the technical info…

LRM

LRM:
Hi, thanks to all who replied to this question, i like the idea of just needing the download tool, i dont want to get too technical, all this download malarky is for my other half to deal with as she has the brains and i have the looks! the reason for the six weeks is cos im on the east coast and the outbound work is from the north, so to see the lorry every six weeks for inspection seems sensible to me.

Also thanks to all who asked about job, may well be in touch, only thing is “nice unit, 120% legal, handsome gaffer, surely £475 all in is perfectly acceptable!!”…

LRM

£475!! Does that include 475 for the week off every 6 weeks■■? :smiley:

LRM:

LRM

£475.00, I knew there was something suspicious about this thread. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
You might get a monkey for them peanuts.

limeyphil:

LRM:

LRM

£475.00, I knew there was something suspicious about this thread. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just what I was thinking. £475 less tax = about £356 take home for 7days out. Might get an East European that can’t find anything better. Not cheeky is he.

limeyphil:

LRM:

LRM

Gumbo has gone International :smiley:

I have no problem with 6 wks out but £475 was what I took home after tax 8yrs ago on a similar job.

LRM:
the reason for the six weeks is cos im on the east coast and the outbound work is from the north, so to see the lorry every six weeks for inspection seems sensible to me.

LRM

do you mean you are on the east coast of uk or spain? if uk then truck will sort of pass you on way to ferry?

maybe you could clarify if 475 is after stoppages then some of the fellas on here would have a clearer idea of what you are paying but to be honest i earn about 2700euros a month for spanish company and am away at most 10days before getting home and uk drivers would surely expect better pay because cost of living higher?

Wheel Nut:

limeyphil:

LRM:

LRM

Gumbo has gone International :smiley:

even gumbo paid better than that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: