Six week checks

We own an 18 tonne rigid which has been converted into a motorhome (although still listed as rigid on the V5).

Being as it is a privately owned vehicle and not used for hire or reward or commercial use, do we have to put it through the VOSA six week check, or is this only applicable if you have an Operators license?

Dave

As it is a private vehicle it does not require the 6 week checks - just yearly MOT
If tacho fitted then the only legal requirement is that the seal remains intact

That’s what I remember from previous conversations and reading on this issue so I am trusting to my failing memory …

The LGV trainers in the newbies forum are likely to know more on this issue as they run private LGVs etc

davemfox:
do we have to put it through the VOSA six week check, or is this only applicable if you have an Operators license?

The latter.

Your only obligation in law is to get it MoT’d every year.

I would think it would be sensible to have a “six weekly check” at least every 6 months though (once just before the MoT to make sure it passes and once halfway between MoTs). If there’s nothing wrong it’s only going to cost you 50quid, if there is something wrong then obviously it was worth taking it in to be checked…

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking “well it hardly gets used so it only needs doing once a year” because important things like brakes can seize up if they’re not used very often so it’s worth getting them checked regularly.

Paul