Simple tacho/working hours question

Hi everyone, I’m new here this is my first post so sorry in advance if I’ve done it wrong, I’ve 15 years experience in a class 2 and 3 years in a class 1, I’m starting a new job soon and I’ve never done the nights out staying away all week in the cab, so my usual routine will be very different, I currently only drive 25 hours a week but do another 35 working times and breaks on top of that.
I have a basic question about the working hours, I think I know the answer allready but just want confirmation, so the maximum hours allowed to work is 15, poa and breaks pause the working time, but I don’t think this means I can have let’s say 8 hours drive time, 6 hours and 55 mins “other work” plus let’s say for example 2x 45 minute breaks and 3 hours poa as that would then take the working day to nearly 20 hours, is this correct?
Thank you

Quick answer: that`s a No, NO.
A day starts when you book on. You need a daily rest of 11hrs (9hrs if reduced) before 24hrs have elapsed.
So effectively you cannot have more than a 13hr spreadover, or 15hr if available.

Try this link
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … -rules.pdf

Thought so, thank you for confirming.

You are allowed max 3 reduced daily rests between any two weekly rests
A reduced daily rest is less then 11 hours off but a minimum of 9 hours off

Each time you finish a daily or weekly rest period a new 24 hours begins
Within that 24 hours a daily rest must be taken
A weekly rest contains the daily rest

Example
End a daily or weekly rest at 0600 and start a new work shift
By 0600 the next day you must have taken an unbroken daily rest of 11 hours or a reduced daily rest if you have one available

Does that help?

yes thank you

And you don’t need to have just 9 off it’s entirely up to you.
Always have 11 off, an love telling planner No.

You’ve been driving 18 years and need to ask that question SERIOUSLY DCPC who said it was a waste of time

Rubberducker:
…so the maximum hours allowed to work is 15, poa and breaks pause the working time,

You’re mixing up EU driving hours and Working Time Directive hours. With EU nothing pauses the clock. You’ve got as mentioned above max of:

15 hours working (driving / working / sitting twiddling thumbs) 3x a week between weekly rests and 13 hours the rest of the time.

With WTD, the breaks / POA do pause the clock which can be handy. Just don’t get me started on the “usefulness” of WTD. :slight_smile:

There is no 15 hours of work rule. Whenever you start a shift you have to have taken 11 hours of uninterrupted rest within 24 hours of when you started the shift. 24 minus 11 is 13, so the maximum shift is 13 hours including any breaks or POA. However, you can reduce the rest to 9 (3 times between weekly rests), so 24 minus 9 is 15.

This is why POA, rest or whatever during the shift makes no difference. It is your start and finish times that matter, because it is daily rest that is the issue, not working time.

There is also split rest.