Simple Bit of Scottish Advice Please

It’s an easy one, on behalf of a mate of mine who has had a late change of job for tomorrow. He’s coming from the Northwest to Ayr so what’s the quickest way from say Gretna using any local knowledge. He knows he’s in for a night out, he ideally needs to be back by 10am Saturday for other things and is leaving around 7.30am tomorrow on a one hit self tip,just wondered if there were any local roads he could use and decent places to stop?
He’s in a 26t rigid that’s 14 foot 4.

Ta

PM sent.

Norfolkinclue1:
It’s an easy one, on behalf of a mate of mine who has had a late change of job for tomorrow. He’s coming from the Northwest to Ayr so what’s the quickest way from say Gretna using any local knowledge. He knows he’s in for a night out, he ideally needs to be back by 10am Saturday for other things and is leaving around 7.30am tomorrow on a one hit self tip,just wondered if there were any local roads he could use and decent places to stop?
He’s in a 26t rigid that’s 14 foot 4.

Ta

Either M74 to J12 A70 to ■■■■■■■■
Or
A75/A76 to ■■■■■■■■

Then…Up to Mauchline A76, left at lights on B743 under 14’ 9" bridge, brings you out at Ayr.
That is the way I go anyway, but some may disagree.

A 75 a 76.
Don’t know where plan to park.
There’s a estate behind Halfords next to Dumfries train station I’ve stoped there few times about 10 min walk maybe into town for food shops etc.
Or always stobbarts truckstop carlisle j44 m6. Big asda opposite.
Or if company won’t pay always park on the estate opposite and walk over

Plus depending on where in northwest he’s coming from if he has a 10.hour drive left should get there and back

Thanks all, I’ve sent him the info, he’s coming from Widnes and does have a ten hour. He’s on for Topps Tiles so that’s his delivery. He’s not bothered by a night out but does have a minibus waiting for him in Wigan at 11am for a stag weekend in Bristol so that’s the reason for trying to work a decent break and an early run in if needed, and yes, he has booked Monday off!!!
@rob, do you think he can get down that B road if he came of the A70 much earlier and used the 74 to get north a bit quicker? He likes to crack on so maybe more chance of that on a less “monitored” road?? I reckon he’ll use your route as it takes you straight to the store.

Thanks all for the replies…

edd1974:
A 75 a 76.
There’s a estate behind Halfords next to Dumfries train station I’ve stoped there few times about 10 min walk maybe into town for food shops etc.

I understand parking is discouraged at Kingstown, sorry im not able to suggest a alternative :frowning:

syramax:

edd1974:
A 75 a 76.

I understand parking is discouraged at Kingstown, sorry im not able to suggest a alternative :frowning:

Since when I always park there was there last night.
Always try get in the cutout behind the bp station
Never parked outside mcdonald s and don’t plan to be to many idiots in and out

Although if he stops at Carlisle. Might not get food not 100%
Was there as said last night was sign on door cafe closing early Fridays and Mondays sorry for any inconvenience I think it said not fully sure.

I would say he will do it on a ten . I always go up to the a71 at junction 10 and drop down to Ayr as least time doing 40mph on the a roads the better . If he runs outta time on way back down good lil spot in bamber bridge near the sainsburys to park or pleanty services to stay if parkings paid .

edd1974:

syramax:

edd1974:
A 75 a 76.

Since when I always park there was there last night.
Always try get in the cutout behind the bp station
Never parked outside mcdonald s and don’t plan to be to many idiots in and out

Was talk a while back about putting double yellows all over the place ■■? Seems it’s not got past talking stage . I stand corrected . Hope it stays that way too few places as it is .

End day where most trucks park there not causing an obstruction there’s no need for double yellow lines.

I bet stobbarts is behind the campaign to get the yellow lines . Thus meaning drivers have to pay at his truck stop .

Talking of yellow lines I go to a small estate in irlam a lot . There’s a currys know how depot there.
All.there delivery drivers abanonded there cars .double park on bends is tight at times to get round the corner to where I go always see cars with bent wing mirrors
So council painted double yellow lines all.over the estate . So now all.the cars park in the housing etstate oposite blocking drive ways and there up in arms now there estate is just a car park

Wonder if he made his stag party in Bristol then? Although not sure why Bristol no offence if your from there but surely be better places to go for a stag party.

Newcastle Manchester blackpool

edd1974:
Wonder if he made his stag party in Bristol then? Although not sure why Bristol no offence if your from there but surely be better places to go for a stag party.

Newcastle Manchester blackpool

He will make it as he got home,he did the junction 10 route via Kilmarnock on the way up but got stuck behind and XPO box jockey glued to 40 and then did Robs suggestion going back using the A70 to the M74, this time he got lucky and followed a low loader over the B road running on the limit. He rang me to pass on the thanks as he got back to the yard on 14 hours and with 9 minutes of the 10 left.
It’s 14 hours because he takes his load off the artic trailer in the yard with a forklift in the morning himself so 90 minutes there before he left.

So take note Dozy, that’s a 6am start with a self load, self tip from Widnes to Ayr and back on a Friday with a steak dinner just after 8pm if wanted, enjoy your lay by with copious amounts of Stobarts lube!!! :grimacing:

I’m guessing they picked Bristol as they are a little ahem older so a bit more laid back, plus Manchester is too local and its illuminations in Blackpool so probably really hectic.
I would have gone Newcastle to be fair, or maybe my hometown of Leeds as they are a bit closer but hey ho…