Silly question I know

but just what is operation stack?

The queueing of HGVs on the M20 that are waiting for ferry crossings instead of bunging up all the roads at the terminal. Used in times of the french having Le Strike usually but also when there are other ferry problems.

John

el gordo 78:
but just what is operation stack?

Silly question :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

and it appears usually kept in place for far longer than is needed, even after Dover is clear, as witnessed by both my self and Bear this week in these posts.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10358

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10453

In both cases long queues on the M20 and Dover empty. When I disembarked I don’t think there were enough trucks waiting in Dover to fill the ferry for it’s return trip. :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I think the police are paid on a bonus system for closing roads

The bigger the road the better the bonus

Then you get extra the closer you can get to a rush hour

more if it’s unnesacary (sp?)

More if theres a bank holiday involved.

Still not your problem soon eh Neil :wink:

Some more silly question I know, but did the police not say during the fuel dispute that drivers who drove slowly on motorways etc as breaking the law due to causing an obstruction to the free flow of traffic on these roads?.
And does operation stack not do exactly the same thing but more so ?
And would any other business, but Dover port, get away with causing the closure of a motorway ?.
OK so I know the answers but should the police really be expected to operate a car park on behalf of Dover port to everyones detriment ?. And should Dover Port not pay all costs involved inculding lost earnings etc.

Daxi, have you never seen the trucks queueing from the Port all the way back up the hill and onto the M20■■ Thats why they use Stack… to keep Dover clear

daxi:
OK so I know the answers but should the police really be expected to operate a car park on behalf of Dover port to everyones detriment ?. And should Dover Port not pay all costs involved inculding lost earnings etc.

Well, it’s not the fault of Dover Harbour Board. The current problems are caused mainly by mechanical failure at the Port of Calais which mean that only one out of their eight linkspans is working at present.

Vince

Vince:
caused mainly by mechanical failure at the Port of Calais which mean that only one out of their eight linkspans is working at present.

Three are working, not one.