Signed up to work towards class 1

Hi, I’ve just recently signed up to working towards my hgv class 1 licence ( going from a car licence) and only being 23 I have to gain my cat c aswell,

I pretty much rushed into signing up for the course and didn’t shop around much but the price was within my budget so I wasn’t too bothered.

It was hgvtraining.co.uk and my closest centre is Middlesbrough. Has anyone else had experience with these and are they actually decent? I’m still within my rights to cancel and am now thinking I should have looked round more than I actually did… So was just looking for some feedback from them other than what’s already on their own website.

Cheers. Jon.

Maybe wrong but that looks like a broker to me, stay well clear would be my advice

Cancel if you can and go direct to a training centre and enquire and ask for prices. It’ll be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They appear on here regularly and as mentioned they are a broker taking a large chunk of the fee so the trainer only gets a much smaller portion. Plus with options such as pass insurance and get 600 back if you pass first time gives an impression that they dont think they’ll lose out.

Cant honestly imagine any decent trainer getting work via a broker which has to give a clue as to the quality of training.

Pretty sure theres a post at the top of this forum with recommended trainers and of course theres the forum sponsor. (Hard to check on my phone).

Cancel and go with a trainer who takes the money, does the training themselves and has a reputation to protect!

By sounds of it they are a broker,so in short you’ve paid them a good few hundred quid to pick up the phone and book you on a course,you could of saved a good few hundred quid by as said above going direct and booking yourself on a course with the training provider.

If you can cancel then cancel,you should have 14 days “cooling off period” in which you have a right to cancel whatever agreement you have with them.

Thanks for feedback.

Thinking about it now it did all sound too good to be true, like trev said pass protection, they say that they guarantee you interviews with employers, and all the rest of it to try and pull you in (it worked).

But reading through my paperwork I’m definitely thinking about cancelling and going direct with someone. Looks like I would lose £100 because I’ve already done my medical with them and I guess I’d probably lose the deposit.

Jono123:
Thanks for feedback.

Thinking about it now it did all sound too good to be true, like trev said pass protection, they say that they guarantee you interviews with employers, and all the rest of it to try and pull you in (it worked).

But reading through my paperwork I’m definitely thinking about cancelling and going direct with someone. Looks like I would lose £100 because I’ve already done my medical with them and I guess I’d probably lose the deposit.

You’ll have your medical to take away so you won’t lose that as such and the deposit will depend on how long ago you signed up,did you book over the phone or via a website?If so you have 14 days to cancel under the distance selling regs and are entitled to a full refund apart from obviously stuff that’s already been physically paid for such as medical.

BROKER ALERT !!

They will promise you the world and you will get less than if you went direct - that is a fact

Bet you do not get one job interview - unless it is perhaps 100 miles from you !!

Hope you paid by CREDIT card … or are within the time span for a refund for distance selling laws

hgvtraining.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.html
0-14 days - 100% refund.

Get your money back and have a look through the recommended trainers in here.

trevHCS:
Cant honestly imagine any decent trainer getting work via a broker which has to give a clue as to the quality of training.

What makes you say that? Any evidence?

Timmo

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Booked over the phone. I’ve got until Friday coming to cancel (within 14 days).

I got told about this forum off someone I know (after booking the course). Had I of known about it before and read some of the stuff I’ve read there is no chance I would of booked through them.

Basically I thought yeah sounds good, they sort all the paperwork out, arrange medical, theory etc etc. and because I’m in full time work already the monthly repayments for me were affordable. But now reading up on stuff it looks like they are making A LOT of money off it.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Really helpful

Get a 0% credit card plenty of deals about pay for your training in that then you have a couple of years to pay it off before the interest kicks in.

Glad you asked on here in time to cancel!!

PS…I love on their website when you click the how much does it cost it say call now for our latest prices like they change daily :smiley:

trevHCS:
Pretty sure theres a post at the top of this forum with recommended trainers and of course theres the forum sponsor. (Hard to check on my phone).

Where is that? I’m probably looking straight past it but i can’t see it haha.

Cheers

Jono123:

trevHCS:

Where is that? I’m probably looking straight past it but i can’t see it haha.

Cheers

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667

Red arrow mate! :smiley:

Check out the link in my signature below :smiley:

Cancel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xichrisxi:
Glad you asked on here in time to cancel

D

Me too! I’ve just cancelled it and they seemed to be a bit arsey on the phone about it, giving me the whole “you won’t find a better deal than us” and “we are one of the best if not the best in the country to train with”.

So now I have cancelled I have began looking round properly this time, the only recommended centre near me is tlgv (Teesside). So I have been in touch for information but I may also consider going outside the area.

I have a little bit of confusion which I would like a hand with… I’m going from a car licence (obtained after 1997) and I want a hgv class 1. Exactly which courses do I have to take? Because I seem to be getting slightly different answers from places.
Tlgv sent this :
Training Courses
Cost
(Inc. VAT)
Testing Fee’s
Total
4 Day Category C1 (7.5tonne)
£960.00
£115.00
£1,075.00
5 Day Category C (Class 2)
£960.00
£115.00
£1,075.00
5 Day Category C+E (Class 1)
£1,080.00
£115.00
£1,315.00

which of these courses do I need to be doing?

Thanks for all the help.

You wont need c1 (7.5t ).
Just go straight to c (class 2).

Unless the rules have changed.

As above straight to class 2,out of interest what price did the broker have you paying for the class 2?

Thanks for that. Just wanted to be 100% before I book anything.

xichrisxi:
As above straight to class 2,out of interest what price did the broker have you paying for the class 2?

Promise not to laugh ?

All in all To do class 2 and 1 and get cpc wasn’t far short of £6000 (that was with interest because I was going to finance it with them) they arranged medical and theory and sorted all the paperwork etc out.

So thanks all for the advice, saved me a massive amount. I owe you all a drink.

Cheers.