Siemens DTCO 1381 to Miles

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the display on a DTC)1381 Siemens tacho to miles from km? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks

dentonkarl:
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the display on a DTC)1381 Siemens tacho to miles from km? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks

My reading of EU Regulation 1985/3821 Annex 1B, Part II, paragraph 168 (on page 63 of the latest 01.10.2011 consolidated version) is that the odometer display on a digital tachograph must be in km. This paragraph allows for speed to be displayed in mph, but does not mention miles as an alternative unit to km for distance.

Annex IB contains a full specification of the digital tachograph, including what data is recorded on the driver card and is retained for download in the vehicle unit.

dentonkarl:
Hi,

Thanks

No mate you can’t change it on the tachograph head but as you probably know you can usually change the reading on the dash display to miles if that helps at all :wink:

djw:

dentonkarl:
Hi,

Thanks

My reading of EU Regulation 1985/3821 Annex 1B, Part II, paragraph 168 (on page 63 of the latest 01.10.2011 consolidated version) is that the odometer display on a digital tachograph must be in km. This paragraph allows for speed to be displayed in mph, but does not mention miles as an alternative unit to km for distance.

Annex IB contains a full specification of the digital tachograph, including what data is recorded on the driver card and is retained for download in the vehicle unit.

Hi djw,

Your mention of “km for distance” got me thinking… I first noticed the tachograph on UK work (around 1980.)
I’d driven for just over 3 years on log-books before that, so I thought I’d do some historical research.

I looked at 3821/85, and found this in Annex 1:

1(c) speaks of “show and record … kilometer.”

Further digging reveals that Annex 1 1(c) of Regulation EEC 1463/70 [L164] says the same thing.

Before that, we had Regulation EEC 543/69, [L77] but I’m fairly sure that I used to fill in my log book in miles, so maybe the ‘kilometer’ requirement came in with the “recording equipment” ■■