Sidemarker indicators

As I joined the M11 today I noticed that when a petrol tanker indicated to pull in front of me all the orange marker lights on the side of the trailer flashed with the indicators. Never seen this before, is it bad electrics or intentional? I’d have thought that they would have to be constantly lit but it did seem very effective.

Intentional, discussed on this thread here recently:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=93383

Personally I can see the benefit of maybe one or two repeaters at the back of the trailer but think it’s a bit overkill on them all.

Does seem to be a bit of a trend for going mad on led lights on new trailers. I find the morrisons new ones a bit dazzling really all round the back of the trailer.

Instead of ■■■■■■■ around putting shiny tape on trailers now, they should make it law for the sidemarkers to work as indicators.

Cheers for that,

I thought that it was quite effective, not a bad idea as there seems to be plenty of drivers who fail to see the one on the back and the one on the side of the cab.

All our trailers have them but only 3 of the side markers flash, they also have reverse sensor lights that flash faster the nearer you get to something, when they change to a constant orange you are about a foot away from the object these stick out from the side of the trailer a couple of inches so they can be seen in the mirrors.
The led rear lights are bright at night but I think the rear flashers are not very visible in bright sunlight or at least they seem to be invisible to car drivers but they are sited very low down.

I think they look cool, good idea if your backing in somewhere and there is traffic looking at you side on.

we’ve got them on our teardrop trailers, they are the best (and only good thing) about the trailers.

kindle530:
we’ve got them on our teardrop trailers, they are the best (and only good thing) about the trailers.

Don’t like pulling the curtains then!! :slight_smile:

We have a lot like that at DHL on our double deckers/teardrops and tall boys, think there good to be honest for the size of vehicle ,3-4 indicators just isn’t enough

I’ve pulled a couple of these trailers, they don’t stop the muppets trying to pass you on roundabouts.

Trev_H:
All our trailers have them but only 3 of the side markers flash, they also have reverse sensor lights that flash faster the nearer you get to something, when they change to a constant orange you are about a foot away from the object these stick out from the side of the trailer a couple of inches so they can be seen in the mirrors.
The led rear lights are bright at night but I think the rear flashers are not very visible in bright sunlight or at least they seem to be invisible to car drivers but they are sited very low down.

The reverse sensor lights, Can you get them online as an after market fitment?

They’ll come in handy for us as well as using the reversing camera.

Goldfinger:

Trev_H:

The reverse sensor lights, Can you get them online as an after market fitment?

They’ll come in handy for us as well as using the reversing camera.

Yes. Our fleet was fitted about 12 months ago. They use a wi-fi connection IIRC so minimal wiring to the sensors and the power is from the nearest live feed. There are 4 sensors across the back of the trailer in the system fitted to ours but make sure they are fitted correctly we had a spate of sensors going faulty and not giving you the expected warning due to water penetration.

FarnboroughBoy11:

kindle530:

Don’t like pulling the curtains then!! :slight_smile:

Well in my opinion they are utter crap …i dont like pulling the curtains… the internal straps… trying to tighten the curtains… the fact that everytime you back on a bay you have to lift the trailer suspension up because for some bizzare reason the arse end of the trailer is as low as a low ride trailer (bumper nearly on the floor), and some bays our suspension wont lift up high enough, so we have to dump the air out of the unit to raise the back end of the trailer a bit more to reach the loading bay level. The top corners of the curtains have kinked and dont go underneath the corner pelmet properly, so i have to get my wash brush out, extend that and then push the kinked bit underneath the pelmet. When you pull the curtains all the way to the back for loading, the curtain nearly touches the floor, if your load finishes above any of the trailer axles you cant put an internal ■■■■■■■■ the chassis as they wont grip. The internal strap hooks are around 2" too long to fit in the eyelet hooks on the edge of the floor. They are 15ft3 high, which is 2 foot too high, they werent ordered 15ft3 high. Nothing we do needs a trailer over 4.2mtres.
Give me a euroliner from down the docks any day! (as long as its not made by don bur)

Stobarts Roadtrains have the markers right down the sides indicating, it’s a really good idea imo!

In the golden days of the 90’s every man and his dog on European work had flashing marker lamps. The Dutch started it and everyone followed. I was convinced it helped to be seen when you indicated.

All you had to do was earth the marker lamp through the indicator. when the indicators were on, the rear marker light flashed too, when the lights were on, the indicator turned them off with each flash.

Gone full circle then.

Years ago when common sense ruled here, (and we made our own laws before we paid the EU masterstate to overrun us without a shot being fired), all side marker lights showed clear lens to front half and red to back, therefore all side lights were either white or red.

Therefore the only orange light you’d see would be an indicator, most trailers had at least one orange side repeater…it worked fine, any orange light that you spotted was an indicator…far too simple that. :unamused: .

In the intervening years we’ve gained more orange side markers than you can shake a stick at and if the trailer had a side repeater it wouldn’t be seen among the other dozen orange lights.

Its taken these clever sods 30 years to realise this?

Talking of common sense UK specifications, remember when we had full three line braking systems…red line snaps?, no problem got another fully functional sytem to operate the trailer…mind you we worked a 12.5 hour day then till we gained more EU safety measures and worked the much safer 15 hours… :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
In the golden days of the 90’s every man and his dog on European work had flashing marker lamps. The Dutch started it and everyone followed. I was convinced it helped to be seen when you indicated.

All you had to do was earth the marker lamp through the indicator. when the indicators were on, the rear marker light flashed too, when the lights were on, the indicator turned them off with each flash.

i did that on my 113 when i was pulling tilts, the marker light would flash ‘opposite’ to the indicator when the lights were on, and flash with indicators when lights were off. smart!