Side loading ratchets

Anyone using these?

Nope, lookin at the video it trys to solve a problem that doesnt excist, instead they have made it up.

No driver worth his salt will allow his ratchets to get in a mess as depicted on the video.
Usually straps will be kept one side (drivers side) and ratchets the other.
So if they need to be tightened on route the driver wont be standing in the road.

Obviously this isnt always feasible but my ratchet collection had a mixture of short and long ones as well as short and long straps and frayed edges where solved with a hammer, deisel and lighter.

Plus pulling on the one side needs massive over engineering to stop the ratchet becoming disstorted over time on the one side.

Each to their own but a basic ratchet and strap set up can last for years if kept lubricated and packed on sharp edges.

Sorry no advantages here over the standard strap and ratchet.

Dipper Dave summed it all up perfectly.

Dipper_Dave:
Nope, lookin at the video it trys to solve a problem that doesnt excist, instead they have made it up.

No driver worth his salt will allow his ratchets to get in a mess as depicted on the video.
Usually straps will be kept one side (drivers side) and ratchets the other.
So if they need to be tightened on route the driver wont be standing in the road.

Obviously this isnt always feasible but my ratchet collection had a mixture of short and long ones as well as short and long straps and frayed edges where solved with a hammer, deisel and lighter.

Plus pulling on the one side needs massive over engineering to stop the ratchet becoming disstorted over time on the one side.

Each to their own but a basic ratchet and strap set up can last for years if kept lubricated and packed on sharp edges.

Sorry no advantages here over the standard strap and ratchet.

+1
I dont think that you would get as good even pull leverage from a side ratchet.
Its just another gimmick to keep people buying.

Everything has been covered in the previous posts. End of post, move on [emoji6]

Old ground re raked!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I must have been working & missed it !! :confused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Too many parts to fail.
If you didnt lock that side correctly in after loading the ratchet you have a failed restraint, that ratchet actually invites human error added to that it does look weaker.
I use a good few 10t ratchets and I cant see them suiting that job.

As they might say on dragons den " im oot "

Does amaze me when I borrow ratchets off another driver or truck , the majority are stiff / rusty / unloved :cry:
Where as mine are lubricated and loved :wink: :laughing:
A simple bit of maintaince makes things much easier to use . :sunglasses:

Can of spray grease or chain grease is all it takes.

Drift:
Too many parts to fail.
If you didnt lock that side correctly in after loading the ratchet you have a red restraint, that ratchet actually invites human error added to that it does look weaker.
I use a good few 10t ratchets and I cant see them suiting that job.

As you say it dose look weaker, which inevitably will wear more on one side & fail, I can’t see that i would get a real tight tension on hay or straw for example, it would make for more difficulty on a side ratchet with this type of load.

Mikey D:
As they might say on dragons den " im oot "

Does amaze me when I borrow ratchets off another driver or truck , the majority are stiff / rusty / unloved :cry:
Where as mine are lubricated and loved :wink: :laughing:
A simple bit of maintaince makes things much easier to use . :sunglasses:

Everytime I lubricated my ratchets, someone else on the opposite shift takes them :imp:

I’m very possessive of my ratchets , I’ve even considered a can of spray paint to mark them :open_mouth: :unamused: :grimacing:

I am lucky, same wagon and ratchets renewed every 3 or 4 months or before if needed I always have a stash of brand new ones in the locker. But loath to throw good old ones away :blush:

I used to have a favourite short strap and ratchet.
I even kept it in the cab with me and it was always well lubed, but then so are most things I come into contact with… :wink:

Mikey D:
I’m very possessive of my ratchets , I’ve even considered a can of spray paint to mark them :open_mouth: :unamused: :grimacing:

:laughing: :laughing: I could always get luminous pink spray paint for mine though I don’t like pink :frowning: , or having my name marked through the webbing :laughing: :laughing: