Sid Knowles ltd

I have been feeling nostalgic lately and thinking about a firm long gone, a firm my grandfather drove for. Sid knowles ltd from Mabe Cornwall, this image is of my grandfather’s lorry (David Smith pic) (C) if anyone wants to share photos and stories that would be great.

Cornish Erf:
I have been feeling nostalgic lately and thinking about a firm long gone, a firm my grandfather drove for. Sid knowles ltd from Mabe Cornwall, this image is of my grandfather’s lorry (David Smith pic) (C) if anyone wants to share photos and stories that would be great.

I’d like to see some pictures of their Bedfords,I believe they had a few

Hi mate , sid knowles used to come in the same places as us to load coal in the late 90s/ early 2000s, i remember 2 or 3 drivers particularly, the one i remember most could possibly be your grandfather, big fella lovely bloke , he was at knowles for years i remember him telling me about when they used to bring fish up in tippers , i cant remember his name , remember sitting in cab with him somewhere and he used to put newspaper down on bonnet when he poured his tea out , last time i remember them was on foot and mouth around 2001

Couple more photos here Cornish nmp

649A9A5A-53B8-4A26-A419-09BD68B2D4EE.jpeg

F05AB975-0D77-41B6-AC17-17174CA8AF94.jpeg

15B2B170-B2C3-4992-B357-47EE5B99BD11.jpeg

longpod:
Hi mate , sid knowles used to come in the same places as us to load coal in the late 90s/ early 2000s, i remember 2 or 3 drivers particularly, the one i remember most could possibly be your grandfather, big fella lovely bloke , he was at knowles for years i remember him telling me about when they used to bring fish up in tippers , i cant remember his name , remember sitting in cab with him somewhere and he used to put newspaper down on bonnet when he poured his tea out , last time i remember them was on foot and mouth around 2001

Hi thanks ! I rode with him for years i remember Loading coal in Thoresby colliery for back home as you say late 90s/ early 2000s, there would be 4/5 artics and an 8 wheeler of Sids all parked up waiting to load sometimes.

Kempston:
Couple more photos here Cornish nmp

Lovely thanks !

Like his Bedford TM’s back in the 70’s.

Click on page twice to read.

Buzzer

Lewdown 80's 1.jpg

241400562_2994003490813518_7237568721391042732_n.jpg

DEANB:
Like his Bedford TM’s back in the 70’s.

Click on page twice to read.

Loving the TM’s

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Thanks Buzzer !

Cornish Erf:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Thanks Buzzer !

Your welcome, although I don’t hail from Cornwall I took my HGV training & test there back in the early 70’s then stayed on for a year before returning to Hampshire, my training vehicle was based at Grose’s yard in St Austell and there were two of them WH & NJ one red, one green trucks think they were brothers, I learnt on a Mastiff two speed box with a 33ft tandem axle single wheeled trailer and an ex RAF trainer. My connection was with ■■■■ Benney who was a bit of a shady mush but had some good times while there, sadly he passed last year. I drove a GUY big J but he had a couple A series ERF’s a year old F88 and a new Scania 110 plus some rigids one with an insulated box which did butter out of MMB at Cambourne, we also did lots of skimmed milk powder in waxy bags out of there which were a nightmare and had to be well roped, also lots of spuds & greens to all the markets usually home bound with animal feed out of Avonmouth for Cornwall farmers, loved my time there even though it was hard work but if you aint born there you aint Cornish if you know what I mean, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Cornish Erf:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Thanks Buzzer !

Your welcome, although I don’t hail from Cornwall I took my HGV training & test there back in the early 70’s then stayed on for a year before returning to Hampshire, my training vehicle was based at Grose’s yard in St Austell and there were two of them WH & NJ one red, one green trucks think they were brothers, I learnt on a Mastiff two speed box with a 33ft tandem axle single wheeled trailer and an ex RAF trainer. My connection was with ■■■■ Benney who was a bit of a shady mush but had some good times while there, sadly he passed last year. I drove a GUY big J but he had a couple A series ERF’s a year old F88 and a new Scania 110 plus some rigids one with an insulated box which did butter out of MMB at Cambourne, we also did lots of skimmed milk powder in waxy bags out of there which were a nightmare and had to be well roped, also lots of spuds & greens to all the markets usually home bound with animal feed out of Avonmouth for Cornwall farmers, loved my time there even though it was hard work but if you aint born there you aint Cornish if you know what I mean, Buzzer

■■■■ Benney was a real character for sure our paths crossed many times, Rip Richard

Remember back then if you drove for Richard you had at least two log books and some times found it hard to remember where you wuzz and the cops in there jam sandwiches on Bodmin moor had naff all else to do than to hassle us drivers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Buzzer

Some more

Excellent pics

Hi cornish erf , what was his name who drove the scania used to talk to him regularly when loading coal and he also used to go on flat sometimes and do some sort of mushroom compost , they used tontip at marshalls sawley near us with china clay inthink then load coal , i also remember them having that erf ecx new and a new trailer and a little quiet bloke drove it , pity i never took photos , the 8 wheeler erf im sure they put body on off a older erf

longpod:
Hi cornish erf , what was his name who drove the scania used to talk to him regularly when loading coal and he also used to go on flat sometimes and do some sort of mushroom compost , they used tontip at marshalls sawley near us with china clay inthink then load coal , i also remember them having that erf ecx new and a new trailer and a little quiet bloke drove it , pity i never took photos , the 8 wheeler erf im sure they put body on off a older erf

Hi Longpod

I think it was Mike Rule that drove the Scania he had that after his P reg Man was written off not sure who drove the ecx, my Grandad drove the erf ec10 L662 WCV we regularly tipped in Marshalls then loaded coal from Thoresby colliery or a colliery in Wales thanks

Some more nmp

Nmp

8418554057_886eeb9204_z[1].jpg

Click on pages twice to read.