Sick note/Fit note

After being of work for 20 months with covid then long covid i am hoping to go back in the next few weeks. Do i
need a fitness note from the doctor to say i am fit enough to go back to work. Last sick note run out 4 months
ago due to me leaving the firm that i worked for.

Nope if you feel fit enough to work and it’s a new job just go ahead but make them aware you’ve had it

You cannot get a fit note saying you are fit to return to normal work.

From the .gov.uk website:

Going back to work
You should go back to work as soon as you feel able to and with your employer’s agreement – this may be before your fit note runs out. You do not need to go back to see your healthcare professional before going back to work. Your healthcare professional cannot give you a fit note stating that you are ‘fit for work’.

For a small number of jobs there are separate processes to ensure it is safe for you to return. If this applies to you, your employer will tell you. You do not need a fit note to cover this period while you wait for your employer’s assessment and your healthcare professional will not be able to issue further fit notes to cover it.

20 months? :smiley:

adam277:

I’m at just over 12 months, for a stroke.
Mind you, that’s DVLA mandated, they rescinded my group 2 licence in April this year. Group 2 is HGV and PSV licences apparently.
I had the stroke in July last year. Then I discovered that I was the one who had to inform DVLA that I’d had a stroke, putting myself out of work.
This was a bit of a surprise, because I had expected the hospital to do that, especially after that bin lorry accident in Glasgow a few years ago. Medical Confidentiality I suppose.
I had to go onto the DVLA website and download the form STR1V, print it off and fill it out by hand. This was a little difficult as it is my right hand and arm that are affected, and I’m right handed. So I asked a friend to do the writing for me. After it was done, my friend told me they were dyslexic :open_mouth: :slight_smile:
We did the form and sent it off in August last year. It took the DVLA until April this year to “conduct investigations” and tell me my licence was rescinded.
I wrote to them in June, to say I would be applying for the return of my licence on the anniversary of having a stroke. On the anniversary the posty dropped a DVLA envelope through my letter box, with a D2 application form and another STR1V, duly completed and sent back. Now I’m waiting for an appointment with a DVLA doctor, for a thorough medical examination, including a treadmill test I believe. How long I’ll have to wait is anyone’s guess.

I’m lucky. My boss has kept my job open for me, for when I get my licence back. I’ve kept in touch with him periodically, since the stroke. All my personal gear is in storage there, so I haven’t had to find somewhere for it at home and won’t have to find a way to take it all back with me. I kind of doubt it’ll all fit into my car, in one trip at least :open_mouth: :laughing:

adam277:

Yes 20 months got covid 28 December 2020 rushed to hospital on 15 January 2021 put in coma 18 January come out of coma 25 February left hospital 2 April. On oxygen 24 hours a day until August 2021 since then just using oxygen when walking. On Monday told I can stop using oxygen. Problem with using a portable oxygen concentrator is no one will hand you the keys to a 44 ton lorry.

I’d be wary of posting factual accounts like that - You’ll risk triggering a few more mocking comments from participants who think Covid is invented/just a dose of 'flu/nothing to worry about.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

blue estate:
Nope if you feel fit enough to work and it’s a new job just go ahead but make them aware you’ve had it

I don’t understand the 2nd part, why?

I guess in case he still finds he has the odd problem. It’ll hopefully stop them running the arse off him from day one. Oh, and explain the gap in his driving record.