Shunting

I know of a drop where the depot is split between two yards which are joined by approx 40 feet of public highway in an industrial estate. On many occassions HGV vehicles are shunted from one yard to another by persons who do not posses a HGV licence. Some in house shunter training has taken place , however i am convinced that this is not legal. How would this stand with the likes of VOSA and the people who issue Operators Licences if they found out

tamarman:
I know of a drop where the depot is split between two yards which are joined by approx 40 feet of public highway in an industrial estate. On many occassions HGV vehicles are shunted from one yard to another by persons who do not posses a HGV licence. Some in house shunter training has taken place , however i am convinced that this is not legal. How would this stand with the likes of VOSA and the people who issue Operators Licences if they found out

You need an operators licence (generally) to operate a HGV on the road. Roads are public highways, not all public highways are roads. Contact the local council to acertain the status of the “public highway” you’re talking about and that will give you your answer to that point.
If you find out it is indeed a road, then sit there and count how many times he uses the road and estimate the distance travelled. There is an exemption for vehicles and their trailers using public road between private premises if they don’t exceed 6 miles per week.
Just work out how many 40fts there are in a mile, then as i say count the trips they make and add them up :smiley:
If you find they are breaking the law then sit there for long periods and keep a detailed log of all movements detailing registration numbers and trailer numbers, times etc. Then when you have a ream of info looking like a pallet full of yellow pages, give it all to VOSA and let them handle it :smiley:

Id imagine any insurance would be null and void if it is being driven on a road by a driver without the correct licence.

Mike-C:
There is an exemption for vehicles and their trailers using public road between private premises if they don’t exceed 6 miles per week.

This is exactly what happened to us when we moved premises literally right across the road so we used the shunter to takes trailers with stock the 20 ft or so.

Mike-C:

tamarman:

You need an operators licence (generally) to operate a HGV on the road. Roads are public highways, not all public highways are roads. Contact the local council to acertain the status of the “public highway” you’re talking about and that will give you your answer to that point.
If you find out it is indeed a road, then sit there and count how many times he uses the road and estimate the distance travelled. There is an exemption for vehicles and their trailers using public road between private premises if they don’t exceed 6 miles per week.
Just work out how many 40fts there are in a mile, then as i say count the trips they make and add them up :smiley:
If you find they are breaking the law then sit there for long periods and keep a detailed log of all movements detailing registration numbers and trailer numbers, times etc. Then when you have a ream of info looking like a pallet full of yellow pages, give it all to VOSA and let them handle it :smiley:

This is good advice but remember that you need to check each vehicle they use doesn’t have an I licence and that the driver doesn’t have an HGV licence this might prove tricky at best

Mike-C:

tamarman:

Or get a life and let them get on with it lol