Shunting

This has probably been asked before but I’m asking as my company seems to have no idea.
If you’re shunting in a yard all day in a Tug which has no tachograph what rules do you come under?
And if the said company sends the shunter out to do a run or collect a trailer from the shop do the rules change for that day only or for all of that working week?
And in any case should a log book be kept?
I used to shunt and argued the toss regarding log books if I got sent out but my compliance manager (bless them) said there’s no need.

A tug is out of scope. So no records required. (heard an interesting rumour the other day that tugs are soon going to have to tachographs installed and subject to regs, can’t see it myself other than maybe for road going rugs but even then I doubt it)

However if you have to put your card in then you need to account for all work during the week.

How you do that may vary but at my place it’s manual entries time.

If your shunting all the time with the odd run out for say running vehicles for service etc then using ? As long as you have some sort of record should suffice.

I can only go on how our place run it though. We do like to account for everything on tacho though or at the very least on tachomaster.

As above, if you only go out occasionally, you need to do manual entries for that week.

But as with everything, it will depend on company requirements, ours requires all shunters to do weekly manual entries, even if they haven’t been out of the gate in a truck in two years.

So if your compliance manager says fill in a log book, that’s what you need to do.

Never done it myself as I couldn’t think of anything worse than being in a yard all day shunting. My personal opinion which I’m entitled to. But, I remember from my CPC drivers hours course this came up and the trainer said that if your in the yard all day it’s out of scope so no tacho recording needed. The second you go out on a road though then everything has to be inputted, via manual entries I’m guessing? So I guess you’d have to record your dirivng in the yard as other work?

Like I said, never applies to me so I didn’t pay too much attention and its not a bit of info I decided to store in my brain, but that’s what I remember from the course on the matter.

Sixties boy:
As above, if you only go out occasionally, you need to do manual entries for that week.

But as with everything, it will depend on company requirements, ours requires all shunters to do weekly manual entries, even if they haven’t been out of the gate in a truck in two years.

So if your compliance manager says fill in a log book, that’s what you need to do.

It’s me arguing saying that I should do a log book.
Shutters mainly shunt but do get asked to do runs to the shop or deliveries if need be.
I’ve always said in the event of a roadside ch eck that I wanted yard activities recorded even if I didn’t go out.
Perhaps it’s me being a jobsworth but these days everything has to be covered.
I don’t do it anymore but was wondering where you stand legally for future reference.

It’s great being…

Mr Toughmardybolloxshunter. I can growl and bark at drivers, decide who gets what lorry and spend all afternoon hiding round the back of the yard doing nothing.

What’s not to like? :smiley:

I’m pretty sure you don’t need to record your hours unless you go on the public highway. But for the sake of the 5 minutes it takes to do a manual entry, why not cover your backside?

Thanks for the replies.
I’ve been pulled for a roadside check before and the guy asked what’s my usual start day of the week.
Looking for unaccounted gaps on the card probably hence why I insisted on a log book when I was shunting.