Shunting

Pros and cons of shunting please? It looks like there’s a lot to learn am I right?

Pros
You get really good at reversing and coupling /uncoupling
Ready access to toilets/canteen
You get out in the sunshine more often
Cons
Boring and repetitive
You’re where management can hassle you easily
You get out in the rain more often

You’ll need the special ability to constantly berate others for driving 1mph over the site speed limit, (you’ll need the speed camera eye update for that), while also hammering your own vehicle at the speed of light around said site.
Expect an untold amount of grief via the radio for stuff you haven’t done yet, because they haven’t finished telling you to do it, as well as grief for stuff you have moved on or off a bay but haven’t bothered to look out of a bay door/window to see if it’s been done.
On the plus side, wear shorts and tan your legs.

I was thinking also you need to know every trailer as regards double or triple axle. Double or tri compartment trailers n tail lifts. It’s 4 on 4 off job. But could work 2 days overtime to boost the earnings massively. Not massively confident on the reversing. If my driving was better I would ask bout trying it in the depot I am working at

I was a totally unlicenced night yard shunter for a year back in the 70s for National Carriers Leicester and I learned a lot

Wouldn’t worry about the reversing much TBH… it’ll be second nature after a few weeks, & you’re being paid to practice.

You will need to be able to decide to take your time even when gaffers want stuff in a rush, damage will get you in real hot water way more than being a bit slow till you’ve built experience.

More haste, less speed, especially at first!

I’ve got two weeks till I start my shunting job. I reckon it’s going to be a fantastic way to get used to all the coupling/uncoupling, reversing, manoeuvring in tight spots before they let me loose on the public highway. I certainly feel less nervous about it than if they were just throwing a set of keys at me and sending me on my way.

I suspect shunting may not give you experience of the full coupling/uncoupling procedures. If I understand it correctly a shunter doesn’t have to do some of the things a conventional unit driver does - like winding the legs, remembering the kingpin clip or the number plate etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure shunting will be a fantastic way of becoming an expert in manoeuvring trailers around as you say, just don’t expect it to help bed in the full coupling routine (commonly taught using the acronym B L A C K or B L A N K for brake, legs, airlines [number plate] [clip] kingpin)

Aye you may be right Orc, though I suspect I will have to adhere to the full procedure as part of the route from the dock to the sawmill is on the main road, albeit only for about three hundred yards but I daresay if VOSAman was about he would be just as sure to check my safety clip as anyone elses.

I think shunting would be a great start, unless it is shunting around some massive RDC type place where you have acres of space. But if it was shunting in somewhere like purfleet docks, where it is not massively tight but limited space then it would be hugely beneficial. But as others have said you get loads of practice out and about driving so it will come on in time! Mine isnt perfect yet but its a lot better than it was!!

However, for some reason, I could go into stora enso at tilbury and reverse into the sheds into a raised concrete box no worries what so ever, but then get to an RDC with acres of space where all you have to do is get inbetween two yellow rails and it takes me loads of shunts!!! How does that work out!!? :laughing: :confused: :blush: