Shunting work and Tacho card

Hi all. Spoke to an agency today about possibility of getting some work and as I haven’t driven class 1 for a long time (20+ years) he said there could be the option of class 1 shunting in a yard to get up to speed on reversing etc.
I’m happy to do that but wondering if I am constantly swapping in and out of tractors and it being on ‘off-road’ property’ would I have to still insert my tacho card every time in a different tractor?

My thinking is that ordinarily, you should put your card in and have it on ‘other work’ to cover your vehicle checks in case dvsa stop you at a later date. Sounds like a pain if I have to put it in every time. Thanks

If you are shunting you are out of scope of the rules unless you go onto the road. So no tacho in unless the company specifies. If using units then the company will have to allocate the missing mileage on their tacho software to be compliant. Obviously if your using a tug then it won’t have a tacho fitted, and even if they ate road going I believe still don’t need a tacho fitted as they ate classed as plant and subject to a certain distance as far as I can tell and are still out of scope. So in short answer should be no but may depend on the company and their procedures. Again shunting can mean from one place to another usually reasonably local so would be a road going unit and taco use would be required in that instance.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Again reading your post you say shunting in a yard so tacho should not be required. Although shunting in a unit is harder work than using a terberg tug. Winding legs up and down every time you move a trailer instead of just raising the 5 th wheel.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. I’m actually hoping it’s tractors rather than dedicated shunt trucks, the routine of leg winding etc. would be good for me in the way of getting back into the right habits.

andy_s:
I’m actually hoping it’s tractors rather than dedicated shunt trucks, the routine of leg winding etc. would be good for me in the way of getting back into the right habits.

You might change your mind about that after the 20th trailer :laughing:

As has been said, any day that you don’t go onto public roads you don’t need to use the tachograph, however, if you do any driving in-scope of EU regulations in the same week you will need to record the date and start/finish times of the shunting work on printout/charts, it’s just so that if you get stopped a DVSA bod can see that you’ve had any legally required rest periods.