Shunting and record keeping

:question: If I were to spend 3 months working as a yard shunter driving nothing other than a tug, occasionally going onto the public highway (no more than 1km between yards). What records am I required to keep :question: In terms of…

Tachograph manual entries (there’s no tacho in the tug and it won’ t go over 40kph)

WTD records in terms of working time.

Bear in mind with the above that I work in a 26 week reference period and the other 3 months would be normal driving however whilst working as a shunter I would not drive a road going truck in that period.

MAT:
:?: If I were to spend 3 months working as a yard shunter driving nothing other than a tug, occasionally going onto the public highway (no more than 1km between yards). What records am I required to keep :question: In terms of…

Tachograph manual entries (there’s no tacho in the tug and it won’ t go over 40kph)

WTD records in terms of working time.

Bear in mind with the above that I work in a 26 week reference period and the other 3 months would be normal driving however whilst working as a shunter I would not drive a road going truck in that period.

The tug is out of scope of the EU regulations so you don’t need to keep any records, if at any time you did drive a lorry in-scope of EU regulations you would need to keep a record of any other work done in the same week.

As you’re not working as a mobile worker while driving the tug you’re also exempt from the RT(WT)R.

tachograph:
The tug is out of scope of the EU regulations so you don’t need to keep any records, if at any time you did drive a lorry in-scope of EU regulations you would need to keep a record of any other work done in the same week.

As you’re not working as a mobile worker while driving the tug you’re also exempt from the RT(WT)R.

Thanks Tachograph, just so I’m clear, when you refer to the same week, do you mean the “fixed” tachograph week.
Also, if you 're exempt from the RT(WT)R in this scenario does that mean you could work say 7 days and as many hours as you like :question:

MAT:

tachograph:

Thanks Tachograph, just so I’m clear, when you refer to the same week, do you mean the “fixed” tachograph week.

Yes if you drive in-scope of EU regulations you should have records of any other work done in the same fixed week, or at-least back to the day before you had a weekly rest period if it falls in the same week.

MAT:
Also, if you 're exempt from the RT(WT)R in this scenario does that mean you could work say 7 days and as many hours as you like :question:

You can opt out of the 48 hour average week with a workforce agreement, as far as I’m aware you can’t actually opt out of the weekly rest requirement (24 consecutive hours in each 7 day period) but the regulations say you’re entitled to a weekly rest period they don’t say you have to have one, though there is an obligation on the employer to ensure you have the rests you’re entitled to.

There is an entitlement to a daily rest period but again it’s a case of you are entitled to it not you must have it.

Daily rest - The Working Time Regulations 1998

Weekly rest period - The Working Time Regulations 1998