Shunters Driving / Working Time Records

Can anyone clarify where shunters i.e Tug drivers stand on tacho and WTD regulations.

If all they do is drive a tug are they required to keep records? Often, tugs go on the road for a few hundred yards between depots so are they required in this scenario to create a manual entry on the back of a paper tacho or manual input on a digi card? Or are they exempt? Its not quite out of scope is it even though there’s no tacho in the tug.

Any insight appreciated. I’ve searched to try and find a definitive answer without success.

Thanks

If its something like a trellborg (spelling) then it is not under EU regs but an artic unit is - that’s how I have always seen this in relation to the regs

Trellborg is regarded as plant I think but must be road legal if on public road

ROG:
If its something like a trellborg (spelling) then it is not under EU regs but an artic unit is - that’s how I have always seen this in relation to the regs

Do you mean Terberg ?

bald bloke:

ROG:

Do you mean Terberg ?

YUP

I do mean a Terburg. No tachograph fitted.
So if you drive one of these, even on the road you’re Exempt From drivers hours etc

If so is there any official documentation to back this up?

MAT:
I do mean a Terburg. No tachograph fitted.
So if you drive one of these, even on the road you’re Exempt From drivers hours etc

If so is there any official documentation to back this up?

It’s exempt from EU regulations because it’s not capable of exceeding 40mph (I assume it’s not anyway).

Page 13 - Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs

Thanks guys, your knowledge knows no bounds.

I always understood that if a shunter/fitter/driver does driving as part of his work he’ll become a mobile worker and be governed by WTD.

BB

Basilbrush:
I always understood that if a shunter/fitter/driver does driving as part of his work he’ll become a mobile worker and be governed by WTD.

BB

Only if the driving is in-scope of EU regulations.